Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Re: Sugar overload

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem these days is even in savory things there are spoonfuls of sugar. If they used quality ingredients they wouldn't need it IMO also they are breeding veggies to be sweeter, super sweet sweet corn, super sweet peas and carrots, all carry a lot more sugar than the normal ones used to.

One of my boys went through a stage of going to a coffee shop when we pointed out the sugar in a simple latte he swapped to a smoothie from same chain, that when we investigated had 22 spoons of sugar in it, the healthy alternative that was advertised as !

I remember when I was about 3 being given a cooking apple and after first grimace realising it wasn't so bad, try that with a child these days they couldn't eat it their palettes are so corrupted.
It is something to do with our food manufacturers isn't it. Sometimes when I look at the ingredients in certain foods, I have no idea why they are there. I went through a stage of buying foreign (Eastern European) foods from Tesco's and even the tinned stuff had a distinct lack of additives and preservatives. I have even bought imported microwaveable Indian ready meals which were quite healthy. For some reason, our own manufacturers love to stuff our foods with crap.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I totally disagree with you that cutting out sugar won’t make an apeth of difference to anyone on this forum provided they are not obese to start with but I’m not going to argue the point.

I agree with you Bratti, I know it made a big difference to me.
I find the best way to avoid sugar is to use my Slow Cooker and cook everything from scratch, then I know what I'm putting in it and there's no sugar or salt going in at all.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 03:06 PM

I've never had sugar in my drinks, and have always been a savoury rather than sweet eater. He who must obey was recently informed by his GP that his blood pressure was too high and to cut down on sugar and salt.. (don't know how he does it but he has always been lovely and slim and at age 65,still a size medium) even though he eats sweet things for England.

I bought Lo-Salt for him and a jar of Candarel sugar. The salt was fine but he hated the taste of the sugar. He also couldn't bear his hot drink having no sugar at all, but one Candarel sweetener tablet in his tea or coffee seems to have done the trick. The hardest thing for him at the moment is having to cut right down on his cakes and choccie biscuits, but we'll get there.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 04:21 PM

I blame the manufacturers for the sugar in foods today....if they wernt so consumed with using the very cheapest crap in our foods then they wouldnt need to try and disguise flavours with sugar and other preservatives...
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 06:10 PM

I understand that the brain needs some sugar to work efficiently. [Not white sugar]
There is sugar in most foods like fructose.
So why are we given hot sweet tea when feeling faint or unwell?
Why did God create Bees to provide us with honey which is pure natural sugar.
Black Strap Molasses from the Sugar Cane is full of nutrients?
Some fruits are full of sugar, also, there is sugar in milk.
Also, I know many elderly people mostly women, who exist on cream cakes and sweets and even suck sweets in bed, they have lovely complexions but .... no teeth

Honey was consumed in Roman Times and is often mentioned in the Bible.

I think it is all this worrying about diet that makes many people ill and depressed.

Lots of men hardly ever eat fruit as they prefer savoury dishes. and many dislike salad, too
In some Continental Countries, deserts are an occasional treat, as fresh fruit is eaten after meals just one Apple or Orange, or Pear, a few grapes, they do not eat sweets between meals.
Of course, many grow there own fruit and grapes in their warm climate garden.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 06:44 PM

As we get older some of our bodily functions are not as efficient as they used to be. Eyes and ears sometimes need a little help, muscles and joints are not as flexible as they were intended to be and even things we can't see or feel that are on the inside have deteriorated and are less able to cope with fats and carbohydrates as efficiently as they once did.

Yes, Things drop, Don't They? Even on men!!
Ooh! Mavis, How do you know that??
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
As we get older some of our bodily functions are not as efficient as they used to be. Eyes and ears sometimes need a little help, muscles and joints are not as flexible as they were intended to be and even things we can't see or feel that are on the inside have deteriorated and are less able to cope with fats and carbohydrates as efficiently as they once did.

Not yet Mavis.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

Joking aside, that's why exercise is essential.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 09:29 PM

I use very little extra sugar myself, mainly because I have never had much of a sweet tooth.

I either use a sweetener in my cuppa, or just about a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar (just a wee bit of the tip of the spoon) otherwise.

About the only cake I might eat is Lemon Drizzle - if it's really lemony, and I've never much cared for chocolatey stuff either. Nor sweets.
Maybe that is why I've never had a tooth out - except for impacted Wisdoms.

It is not so much for health reasons I avoid these things, it's just that I don't much like very sweet stuff, and never have.
I've never seen my son eating a bag of sweets either.

I know added sugar is in other things we eat so we can't avoid it altogether, but I don't add even more.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 10:41 PM

The trouble with sugar substitutes is the body is still getting it's 'Sweet Fix' and you will never be rid of the craving for the sweet things. The only way to stop eating sweet things is to stop eating simple sugars all together.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top