Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: Exceptional Artwork On Horses

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Poor bloody animals, can't she just clip her own hair in ridiculous patterns instead of inflicting it onto horses which, incidentally, sometimes have to be sedated! Just as bad as the idiots that colour their dogs in stupid patterns and dress them in stupid clothes just for their own gratification. I hate it, I really do, just another form of animal cruelty to make them a focus of ridicule.!
Sorry Mups I agree with Barry .
If people want to practice art work they can use a canvass,wool, grass rather than a horse.

It could be argued I trim my dogs but I do so for mainly practical purposes in a breed which does not shed.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Summer, I don't feel this is remotely like that maniac with a knife! I hope that bloke was caught and dealt with.
Nope never caught Mups and I agree nothing like the same thing but it did remind me of that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sorry Mups I agree with Barry .
If people want to practice art work they can use a canvass,wool, grass rather than a horse.

It could be argued I trim my dogs but I do so for mainly practical purposes in a breed which does not shed.

That's OK Meg. We all view things differently.
I hope you know I would never agree to anything harmful or stressful, but I honestly didn't think this was - along as the horse is not upset.

For all we know, the animal might even find it relaxing to be gently touched, brushed and handled. My Gertie is like that and it makes her quite difficult to clip because she keeps nodding off and laying down! She loves 'touch' and contact, but it sends her to sleep.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's OK Meg. We all view things differently.
I hope you know I would never agree to anything harmful or stressful, but I honestly didn't think this was - along as the horse is not upset.

For all we know, the animal might even find it relaxing to be gently touched, brushed and handled. My Gertie is like that and it makes her quite difficult to clip because she keeps nodding off and laying down!
I know you wouldn't Mups it's just not 'my thing' .
Frieda
Southeast USA
Frieda is female 

04-01-2019, 10:26 AM

1. My horses have NEVER had to be sedated for clipping, nor have I ever heard of a horse having to be sedated for body clipping.

If there is sedation involved, it is likely to clip the insides of horses ears, which having no hair inside the ears is a stupid show rule for certain classes.

If folks read the entire article in the original post, the young lady started clipping her childhood pony when it developed Cushings disease. Cushings in horses means the pituitary gland has started to horribly malfunction and one of those malfunctions is NOT ALLOWING the horse to shed its hair in a normal manner in the Spring and Fall.

The owner could let the horse go and watch it suffocate from heat, orrrr the owner could shave all the offending hair off.

I suppose I should have been turned in for tuxedo clipping my elder horse when he stopped shedding properly???? I could have let him swelter in all that hair, or I could do what I did -- the humane thing of partially clipping him to keep him cool and while I was at it I might just as well make the clip look like a tuxedo ----

In this instance the young lady got creative with clipping her Cushings pony (which I highly doubt needed sedated), and that creativity expanded as she got older.

I don't see the problem as long as the owners of these clipped horses understand the horses need coverings to protect them from the elements.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Horses & ponies do need to be clipped in Winter, if they are in work, because with their thick coats they sweat too much & lose condition fast if left unclipped. Most horses are used to this & don't mind, the odd one or two we had that didn't like it were twitched, no drugs needed & the horses took no harm from being twitched. We knew how to use the twitch properly.

The patterns on the horses in the article are very cleverly done. They look amazing & the hair does grow back.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top