Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:03 AM

Plastics into bricks

Ok these are my thoughts, surely it can be done , if it can why isnt it being implemented .

All the plastics that are recycled ( like the beach recently cleared in muddys thread in India ) all the waste stuff etc

Why cant it be made into bricks or large breezeblocks to build houses and homes and shelters around the world , surely machinary and factories could be built to do this . Immagine homes made from plastic bricks , it would work wouldnt it ?

Or is my mind thinking daft thoughts
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Re: Plastics into bricks

I am sure I have read somewhere that plastic is being turned into house bricks and they are just as strong as the real thing. Also it is being used for fake timber too such as decking. It would be like living in a giant Lego house.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am sure I have read somewhere that plastic is being turned into house bricks and they are just as strong as the real thing. Also it is being used for fake timber too such as decking. It would be like living in a giant Lego house.

Ha ha yes, Lego have been making plastic bricks for years.
A great suggestion Susan....

It's been staring us in the face for years, I can't think why nobody has thought of it before...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:22 AM

https://www.expertskiphire.co.uk/plastic-bricks
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Oh my , so im not thinking daft , its possible and can be done , so why arnt houses being built of it , a great way to use up whats clogging our oceans to help our world . Think of the homes that could be built .

Im not so daft am i
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:13 PM

True. All we need is a merger between Barratt and Lego and maybe get Tesla involved too.
Plastic towns, electric cars and while we're at it replace us with robots too. No need for the NHS, police, politicians. Superglue the plastic together to avoid flooding. It's a win-win situation!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Ok these are my thoughts, surely it can be done , if it can why isnt it being implemented .
Well it seems some business DO agree with your idea Susan so well done. Here's one firm:

http://www.skar.co.uk/recycling-plas...ilding-bricks/

The bricks have good thermal insulation properties and the webpage says 4 people can knock up a "house" in a few days.

A problem seems to be though that the plastic bricks can't support the same kind of weight as ordinary stone bricks so that might restrict the house design.

Maybe you'd just go for bungalow design so no heavy stuff up above?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 01:28 PM

One thing that did cross my mind with this idea though is what happens when a house catches fire? The smoke from burning plastic is highly toxic and would affect all neighbouring houses I guess.

I'm trying to think what plastics we have in ordinary houses.

A bit of guttering, facia boards, PVC windows and doors, wiring, plugs. Probably not that much all said.
susan m
DORSET UK

05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

In this day of technology I'm sure something could be made to stop the plastics from burning realist , in my mind it seems so simple and I'm a no body so where are our scientists and builders .

If only
susan m
DORSET UK

05-01-2019, 01:39 PM

P.s. in the thread about the beach clean up in India it's great to see but my mind is now asking where did the plastics go , were they re used or dumped, perhaps I need to re read it maybe it says

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top