Join for free
Page 8 of 28 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Exactly.

Funny how the referendum always reverts to `advisory` because the Remain camp lost the vote. Would they still claim as much if the referendum worked out in their favour? Of course not.
My thoughts exactly!

Whatever the government does is up to them.

However, if the referendum result is not acted on in a democratic manner, MPs who have decided to ignore the public's wishes had better watch out in 2022.

And despite their blusterings, I think they all realise that deep down. Perhaps they're hoping that people will have forgotten by then!
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The answer is always in the question on a second referendum. It would be a betrayal of the peoples decision and end up with the same result.

It would break democracy.

And it was legally binding because Cameron said the government will implement the decision if the people.

I never saw on the ballot the words " just for fun..."

Your chasing a unicorn
You are deluding yourself if you think Cameron’s words made the referendum leagally binding. You obviously did not read the Bill or understand that you were voting in an advisory referendum.

If the Bill had made the decision of the referendum legally binding then I would agree with you that not caring out that decision would be undemocratic and in breach of the law. But it didn’t and your claim that just because a Prime Minister stated something is farcical. If it were true then all May would need to do is state that we are leaving under the term of her deal and in your world it would be legally binding. It isn’t.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
The referendum wasn’t legally binding, but there’s plenty of scope for argument about whether politicians should feel obliged to implement the result anyway.

The fact that the government said it would implement the outcome does not make it legally binding.
Article 50 (including the date we leave), is enshrined in law.

We will be leaving the EU. Period!

Now why don't you peddle your twisted vitriol elsewhere.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Article 50 (including the date we leave), is enshrined in law.

We will be leaving the EU. Period!

Now why don't you peddle your twisted vitriol elsewhere.
I have merely stated fact. That you think facts to be “twisted vitriol” I personally think the truth to be important and the truth is that the referendum was only advisory

Although my posts were about exposing the misconceptions and untruths regarding the status of the referendum Article 50 is interesting in how it will eventually pan out

The European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 empowered the Prime Minister to invoke Article 50. The Act is indeedenshrined in law.

However, the Courts have determined that Article 50 can be unilaterally revoked.

Whether the Act would that allows the PM to invoke the notice of withdrawal would also allow her to revoke it is unclear but, given the movement in parliament to prevent leaving without a deal and if as seems very likely May loses the vote on her deal it is unclear what parliament might do. Thereryhave been calls for a further referendum , extending the Article 50 timeframe which may require the consent of al EU nations or even revoking Article 50.

So we may be leaving as you have stated but the turmoil in parliament does not make this a given

As for me going somewhere else, why should I pander to your irrational fear of fact
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:42 PM

In a democracy, nothing is forever.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 11:33 PM

Fogey wasn't responding to you Banchory.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Which is what the original post was all about...!
Yep. Are you congratulating me for being the only one on topic? It seems to have degenerated into the usual remainers versus leavers slanging match like every other Brexit thread..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Hi

We are a divided Nation and this is not going to be resolved any time soon.

A sad stage of affairs, but we are where we are.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't know about pleasing both sides. I looks to me that neither side is pleased at all and I am starting to believe that will still be the case after 29th March.
Of course it will Bruce. When there is little margin between leave and stay, how could there ever be agreement reached. IMO as the referendum was not legally binding anyway, we should abandon the whole thing, at least for the time being. Give Jo Public more information and/or education about the whole process (not simply ask shall we leave or stay). When everyone has had the chance to be well informed and truly know what they are in for (warts and all on both sides) then another referendum can be held with everybody's eyes wide open. In the meantime, I think this country needs to get back to some sort of normality. This Brexit rubbish is tearing our country apart.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
I have merely stated fact. That you think facts to be “twisted vitriol” I personally think the truth to be important and the truth is that the referendum was only advisory

Although my posts were about exposing the misconceptions and untruths regarding the status of the referendum Article 50 is interesting in how it will eventually pan out

The European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 empowered the Prime Minister to invoke Article 50. The Act is indeedenshrined in law.

However, the Courts have determined that Article 50 can be unilaterally revoked.

Whether the Act would that allows the PM to invoke the notice of withdrawal would also allow her to revoke it is unclear but, given the movement in parliament to prevent leaving without a deal and if as seems very likely May loses the vote on her deal it is unclear what parliament might do. Thereryhave been calls for a further referendum , extending the Article 50 timeframe which may require the consent of al EU nations or even revoking Article 50.

So we may be leaving as you have stated but the turmoil in parliament does not make this a given

As for me going somewhere else, why should I pander to your irrational fear of fact
At least I'm looking at both sides of the argument.

Article 50 can be unilaterally revoked - thats true. Didn't hear it in the referendum though.

Anyway the referendum in 1975 was advisory as well - maybe we shouldn't have been in the EU in the first place - or maybe we were in the EU illegally all this time.

There some more facts for you .. enjoy !

Page 8 of 28 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top