Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Ways of saving mobile data when in hospital?

I don't watch movies or listen to music (except for what's on the device).

I mainly browse and read the news. I'm glad I got 12GB this time round as 1GB was way too restrictive. 3 network seems to work best for me and it would be a pain changing over to another network. I know I'm getting ripped off by using PAYG, but I always buy my phones outright.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Re: Ways of saving mobile data when in hospital?

If you are a light user and dedicated PAYG user then 1pMobile is likely your cheapest option.

1p per text
1p per min calls
1p per MB data

I don't personally use data on my phone. I use a netbook and free Wifi wherever I go.

If you own a Smart Phone (I purposely don't) then you have the problem that you have limited control over the device and what it is doing.
Smart Phones typically come loaded with software and Apps and those get added to as you download more and more.

Apps very often are developed to automatically go off, connect to the network and download updates. It will often happen in the background without you being aware.

Thus by simply switching a Smart Phone on it may have 100s of Apps all suddenly connecting and downloading updates every day. This eats into your data allowance and can be significant.

It's for this reason I don't use data on my dual Sim Nokia. A great little phone whose battery lasts many days on a charge, which is small and portable, easily fits in a pocket and is simple to use. Texts and calls are all I use. I have disabled data usage in the setting for each Sim card so no App or software can download anything.

1pMobile is THE cheapest PAYG solution out there and works really well (on the EE network). It requires a 3G enabled phone to use.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:26 PM

We found BT contract best but still have phones we buy outright. Quite like the korean tech here, cheap but effective.

PAYGO was much more expensive for us we now get unlimited texts, calls and 16mb of data each phone, we have 4.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
PAYGO was much more expensive for us we now get unlimited texts, calls and 16mb of data each phone, we have 4.
There's no comparison between PAYG and Contracts TBH, 2 very different beasts. The choice comes down to your usage habits and needs.

MY yearly outlay with 1pMobile is £30, never more. never less.

There is no contract that I know of that involves just paying £30 a year.

But it comes down to how much you rely on your device.

With your contract you can make 1000 texts and they are all included in the package

With 1pMobile PAYG you can make 1000 texts and it will cost 1000 pence, or £10.

The thing is with a contract you will typically be paying £100s a year for that contract.

Horses for courses.

Personally I have no need to live on my phone as many do, scrolling through endless FB pages and Twitter looking at videos of cats and dogs and so on.

I use my phone to text people and make occasional calls. simples. Everyone is different though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 02:17 PM

I pay £5 a month for my Giffgaff Goody Bag which includes ...

500 MB data
150 mins
500 texts

I don't use the data I don't have a smart phone....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There's no comparison between PAYG and Contracts TBH, 2 very different beasts. The choice comes down to your usage habits and needs.

MY yearly outlay with 1pMobile is £30, never more. never less.

There is no contract that I know of that involves just paying £30 a year.

But it comes down to how much you rely on your device.

With your contract you can make 1000 texts and they are all included in the package

With 1pMobile PAYG you can make 1000 texts and it will cost 1000 pence, or £10.

The thing is with a contract you will typically be paying £100s a year for that contract.

Horses for courses.

Personally I have no need to live on my phone as many do, scrolling through endless FB pages and Twitter looking at videos of cats and dogs and so on.

I use my phone to text people and make occasional calls. simples. Everyone is different though.
Well when we were on paygo I never spent more than £2 a month but I was only texting and making calls. When we got smart phones that changed completely and contract was far cheaper. Not on them all the time but just downloading books and music can cost a lot on paygo.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't watch movies or listen to music (except for what's on the device).

I mainly browse and read the news. I'm glad I got 12GB this time round as 1GB was way too restrictive. 3 network seems to work best for me and it would be a pain changing over to another network. I know I'm getting ripped off by using PAYG, but I always buy my phones outright.
I don't know what sort of phone you've got Ffosse, and I'm certainly no expert ... but with my Samsung Galaxy Android i can switch off Mobile Data.

Settings > Data usage > untick Mobile Data.

You might want to disconnect the Wi-Fi too.

Settings > Wi-Fi ... slider to the left.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Don't hospitals have Wi-Fi yet?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Don't hospitals have Wi-Fi yet?
Not all of them certainly round here only two have wifi and you have to pay for it. Buses have it free but hospitals not so much.

BT have a system of hot spots I find very useful. Not too many places you can't find one round here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not all of them certainly round here only two have wifi and you have to pay for it. Buses have it free but hospitals not so much.

BT have a system of hot spots I find very useful. Not too many places you can't find one round here.
Sign of the times isn't it Julie? No wi-fi and having to pay for parking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top