Join for free
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Re: Jury Service

Are you able to find out what the actual case is before agreeing to stand on the jury?

If not then in today's world that might be a bit of a concern.

e.g. you end up on a case regarding a young Muslim man or day known Gand member who has allegedly threatened a white family, thrown bricks through their windows and caused criminal damage to their car. There are no witnesses and no photos/videos of the event happening. The court room is full of the other Muslim men or gang members who dutifully make a note of all the jury members.

Will you vote to convict him if the rest of the jury think he is guilty?

Would you be happy doing jury service for such a case? Not sure I would, just not worth the potential hassle you might get afterwards.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is nothing to worry about Sweetie.In fact you will probably enjoy it and be best friends with the rest of the group by the end of it. As others have said, it can be boring because judges suddenly decide they are not coming in that day even though you have been sitting there for hours.

Keep receipts for any travel costs whether it's bus, train, parking etc and you should get subsidised meals while you are there too.

You could take a book to read but I found that when I did it (Have done it twice now) we all got along so well that we didn't stop chatting for the whole two weeks.

What I did find strange is being partly responsible for someone's fate but you will no doubt get a gut feeling about the case.

Enjoy the experience.
That was, more or less, my experience, too .....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
How about afterwards,are you allowed to talk about the case and how you (jury) came to make the decision.
Oh you know that is not allowed!!!
Bad boy!

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Nothing to be worried about , as I remember it ( was years ago) I turned up Monday and sat around , Tuesday sat around ,Wednesday ... yes you guessed it ... but suddenly Thursday and Shazam we were called to do our bit and sworn in and all that palava and then listened to both prosecution and defence ( I believe you are never allowed to talk about it forever afterwards so I’d be silly in an open forum to do so but enough to say when a policeman catches you climbing over a fence with the alleged stolen property in your possession there’s a good chance your guilty !!! ) so the morning was spent listening to proceedings ... adjourn to separate room for us to decide ( that wasn’t difficult given the evidence) then back in for verdict and sentencing ... then Friday was another boring day and that was it .... claim expenses and bobs your uncle ..
About a year or two later and another letter for jury service drops on my lap but this time I could say thanks but no thanks as I’d done it within whatever the time frame was and could decline ( remembering how boring it was last time I simply ticked the ‘no chance ‘ box and that was it gone ..
But nothing whatsoever to worry about apart from take a good book along !!
Word of warning as a friends experience was somewhat different and she ended up on jury service and obviously it’s pot luck what case you get called for and she ended up on one that took best part of a year as I remember ... so her advice would be to take a bigger book !!!
Thanks for that.x
Yes as I suppose no internet allowed.
Good tip.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is nothing to worry about Sweetie.In fact you will probably enjoy it and be best friends with the rest of the group by the end of it. As others have said, it can be boring because judges suddenly decide they are not coming in that day even though you have been sitting there for hours.

Keep receipts for any travel costs whether it's bus, train, parking etc and you should get subsidised meals while you are there too.

You could take a book to read but I found that when I did it (Have done it twice now) we all got along so well that we didn't stop chatting for the whole two weeks.

What I did find strange is being partly responsible for someone's fate but you will no doubt get a gut feeling about the case.

Enjoy the experience.
Thanks Longlegs you know I natter to everyone. I will be driving there. Although it is so close, maybe I will take a bus.
I have been to court as a witness.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Are you able to find out what the actual case is before agreeing to stand on the jury?

e.g. you end up on a case regarding a young Muslim man or day known Gand member who has allegedly threatened a white family, thrown bricks through their windows and caused criminal damage to their car. There are no witnesses and no photos/videos of the event happening. The court room is full of the other Muslim men or gang members who dutifully make a note of all the jury members.

Would you be happy doing jury service for such a case? Not sure I would, just not worth the potential hassle you might get afterwards.
Well done. That's put her mind at rest.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:15 PM

You don’t get a choice ... you have no idea what the case is or anything for obvious reasons ... you may be chosen and then the defence chooses to again change the jury make up ... everything is completely random so you can’t say yes I volunteer only for ‘ certain cases’ or whatever
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:15 PM

If you're a carer that's a get-out...
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:17 PM

No, you can't. Nor can you pick and choose what sort of case you will be on the jury for.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:18 PM

I am never prejudiced, I will not know before hand either. What will be will be.
I think I am prepared after that thought.
She says quivering.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:18 PM

I enjoyed my experience i had a week off work !

It was interesting and sat on two cases that week

The usher was talking to us and said " there is no such thing as justice " words ive never forgotten

Id ,love to do it again

Mind you what realist says is concerning and i expect could be a concern. I remember during a break for lunch and wanting a drink i went into a room to the coffee machine and there were 6 or 7 members of the family of the bloke in the doc , i walked in and the silence was scarey as they watched me collect my coffee , not a word was spoken and all eyes were on me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
you don’t get a choice ... You have no idea what the case is or anything for obvious reasons ... You may be chosen and then the defence chooses to again change the jury make up ... Everything is completely random so you can’t say yes i volunteer only for ‘ certain cases’ or whatever

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top