Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Re: The Queen Who Never Was.

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
There is another programme showing a very different story, it's Wallis's side, she realised she's made a huge mistake and tried to break things off with Edward, but he would have none of it. She was in touch with her 2nd husband whom she had stayed friends with, and the letters between them talking about this still exist today. The Historians were reading them out and it was a very interesting programme, certainly put a different slant on the whole affair. I hope it's shown again, I'll post on here if it is and you can watch if you want.
Please do Roxy, I would like to see it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 03:56 PM

I don't see that Edward actually gave anything up. Apart from the fact that he no longer had to carry out any 'duties' he still received a bloody good wage for the rest of his life. He had all the rewards without the work and was sill better off than most Brits at the time.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:20 PM

There was one thing he did want and couldn't get, he was desperate to get HRH for Wallis and his brother would not give it to him. If stories are correct then this was down to his wife Elizabeth (queen mum) she hated Wallis with a vengeance and despite her husband being King, I think she was the real boss and this was a nice bit of female bitchiness between her and Wallis. Pay Back.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:35 PM

There is another programme showing a very different story, it's Wallis's side, she realised she's made a huge mistake and tried to break things off with Edward, but he would have none of it. She was in touch with her 2nd husband whom she had stayed friends with, and the letters between them talking about this still exist today. The Historians were reading them out and it was a very interesting programme, certainly put a different slant on the whole affair. I hope it's shown again, I'll post on here if it is and you can watch if you want.
Yes well an ex king doesn't have the same cache .
It must have been dreadful for her with the realisation she would have to keep this needy little man entertained for the rest of her life.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:36 PM

It would be fascinating to watch Roxy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:53 PM

It was, indeed, very interesting .....

I believe it was "Wallis Simpson - The Secret Letters" (C4) (2011) .....

This YouTube link seems to work:

Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 04:54 PM

There was one thing he did want and couldn't get, he was desperate to get HRH for Wallis and his brother would not give it to him. If stories are correct then this was down to his wife Elizabeth (queen mum) she hated Wallis with a vengeance and despite her husband being King, I think she was the real boss and this was a nice bit of female bitchiness between her and Wallis. Pay Back.

Knowing how much of snob her brother-in-law was, it was a guaranteed certainty to keep them in exile. Queen Mother was described as an iron hand in a velvet glove, both men needed a dominate woman in their lives it seems.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Please do Roxy, I would like to see it.
Here you are Sweetie it's on YouTube...….Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swd3ISRF_wY&t=54s
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

13-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It was, indeed, very interesting .....

I believe it was "Wallis Simpson - The Secret Letters" (C4) (2011) .....
Yes Omah that's the one. Thanks for finding it..Will be watching it again..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top