Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Re: Stockpiling

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Not an awful lot - we would be able to buy stuff from anywhere in the world a lot cheaper than we get from the EU for a start.

Besides we are already subject to the EU's external tariffs for imports anyway from 3rd countries.
So you don’t understand
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
So you don’t understand
I understand perfectly, you just have your fingers in your ears and refuse to listen to anything other than remain centric rhetoric.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:04 PM

If we don’t impose tariffs on incoming goods that 95% will have to compete against the flood of cheap foreign imports

They would need to shed labour and automate or drastically cut wages to survive

Is that what you voted for?
No but I refer you to post below where Bread says it better than I could.

Not an awful lot - we would be able to buy stuff from anywhere in the world a lot cheaper than we get from the EU for a start.

Besides we are already subject to the EU's external tariffs for imports anyway from 3rd countries.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
About 95% of companies in UK don't export at all, not that the fear mongers ever say that. We can't stay in EU just for the 5% who do. We import a lot more though, but I can't imagine which countries are insane enough to refuse to sell to use or put restrictions in place to make it more difficult.
The UK leads in the export of financial and professional services Julie and companies other than finance actually export 20% not 5% I think we are the 12th leading exporter in the world.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Hi

We are also the 10th biggest manufacturer in the world.

80% of the cars and car parts we produce are exported.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 06:47 PM

We don't have to put tariffs on imports - that is up to us.
[QUOTE=Julie1962;1616799]No but I refer you to post below where Bread says it better than I could.

Under WTO rules you cannot discriminate therefore if we do not put tariffs on imports which it would result in a flood of cheap imports arriving in this country which you Brexiteers naively think is a good thing.

From your responses it is obvious that you do not give a dam about the damage that would do to our manufacturing industry and the country as a whole
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=Banchory;1616952]
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No but I refer you to post below where Bread says it better than I could.

Under WTO rules you cannot discriminate therefore if we do not put tariffs on imports which it would result in a flood of cheap imports arriving in this country which you Brexiteers naively think is a good thing.

From your responses it is obvious that you do not give a dam about the damage that would do to our manufacturing industry and the country as a whole

Stop being silly. You need to also consider the quotas on goods as well.
Banchory
Kent

16-01-2019, 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=Bread;1617306]

Stop being silly. You need to also consider the quotas on goods as well.
The imposition of import quotas under WTO rules has been, by common agreement, scrapped by the worlds trading countries.

Tartif quotas could be introduced but they then become discriminatory to companies importing goods in that some would no or low tariff while othets when the quota is reached have to pay a higher tariff. Totally unworkable

So either no import tariff and destroy UK manufacturing or impose tariff as every other country does and all the benefits are lost.

My wife imports products from many countries outside the RI and the customs declarations, delays, fees and handling charges make the whole process very onerous compared to imports from the EU

It’s not the tariffs that will cripple this country (although it will affect the less well off) but the non tariff barriers and and red tape.

So not silly just reality rather than Your belief in Unicorns
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

16-01-2019, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Banchory;1617322]

The imposition of import quotas under WTO rules has been, by common agreement, scrapped by the worlds trading countries.

Tartif quotas could be introduced but they then become discriminatory to companies importing goods in that some would no or low tariff while othets when the quota is reached have to pay a higher tariff. Totally unworkable

So either no import tariff and destroy UK manufacturing or impose tariff as every other country does and all the benefits are lost.

My wife imports products from many countries outside the RI and the customs declarations, delays, fees and handling charges make the whole process very onerous compared to imports from the EU

It’s not the tariffs that will cripple this country (although it will affect the less well off) but the non tariff barriers and and red tape.

So not silly just reality rather than Your belief in Unicorns
You were arguing about tarrifs earlier and now you've moved on to non-tarrif barriers.....

The EU protectionism is under pinned by non-tarrif barriers.
Banchory
Kent

16-01-2019, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Bread;1617469]

You were arguing about tarrifs earlier and now you've moved on to non-tarrif barriers.....

The EU protectionism is under pinned by non-tarrif barriers.
Yes, but having debunked your zero tariff and tartif quota nonsense as being catastrophic to our manufacturing industry I thought it prudent to point out where the real issues lie when trading with the whole world on WTO rules namely non tariff barriers

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top