Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:51 AM

How to ensure Lemons & Limes stay fresh for Months!

Handy tip to ensure your Lemons and Limes stay fresh for months!

Put Lemons and/or Limes into a container/pot that can hold 2 litres of water.

Add ˝ cup of Vinegar to the water

[If a large amount of Lemons or Limes, make it 4 litres of water and 1 cup of vinegar.]

Leave the fruit to soak in the mix for 30 minutes.

When the 30 minutes are up, dry each piece of fruit with a clean towel or facecloth. It is important that each piece of fruit is clean and dry.

Now place the fruit into a ziplock bag and ensure all air removed before placing the bag(s) into the fridge bottom drawer only. [essential you only use this drawer for storing the fruit]
They will stay fresh for months.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Re: How to ensure Lemons & Limes stay fresh for Months!

That is good to know - thank you, Shropshiregirl.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:12 AM

I just leave them on the tree until I need one.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Thank You for that, SG.
I wish l had known this last week after l had to throw out a mouldy lemon! The mould seems to suddenly appear!

Did anyone else’s mouth water when they read ‘lemon and limes’?
It must be the thought of sourness that causes it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I just leave them on the tree until I need one.
haha yes they stay edible forever on a tree. Unfortunately our lemon tree went on strike two or three years ago.

I always put lemons in the bottom draw of the fridge and they stay fresh for months. Usually loose. Oranges & satsumas too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 02:29 PM

Won't they taste of vinegar?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Apparently not LG. it's something to do with the maximum 30 minutes only dip, and ensuring they are wiped dry straight away.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-07-2020, 08:44 AM

I have found the same helps with fresh carrots and string beans etc. I have always kept my fresh vegetables in a basket in a cupboard. I don't usually buy too much as I like to buy fresh every week, but even after only 7 days, I find that some of the carrots leave a lot to be desired! Then my SIL told me that she keeps all of her fresh vegetables (barring potatoes) in one of her fridge drawers, and even after a week, are as fresh as the day put in there. So, I tried it and it's true. The vegetables keep so much nicer when stored in the fridge drawer. HWMO's stash of beer has been banished now and both of the drawers are MINE!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I have found the same helps with fresh carrots and string beans etc. I have always kept my fresh vegetables in a basket in a cupboard. I don't usually buy too much as I like to buy fresh every week, but even after only 7 days, I find that some of the carrots leave a lot to be desired! Then my SIL told me that she keeps all of her fresh vegetables (barring potatoes) in one of her fridge drawers, and even after a week, are as fresh as the day put in there. So, I tried it and it's true. The vegetables keep so much nicer when stored in the fridge drawer. HWMO's stash of beer has been banished now and both of the drawers are MINE!
I always keep my vegetables and salad in the bottom drawers of the fridge and they do keep fresh longer.

I keep onions and potatoes in hessian sacks and then put the sacks in large empty layers pellets bags in the garage. They keep for ages.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Technically, potatoes, carrots and onions are not meant to be chilled but I also keep carrots in the fridge and they last for ages. Potatoes sit in a dark cupboard. Sprouts also last a long time in the fridge.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top