Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 03:07 AM

Are roses dead ?

Last November I helped my neighbor cut all of his POTTED rose bushes back to about 15 cm high. I looked up on google how to cut roses back. But now they look dead to me. The pots of roses stayed outside all winter (never close to freezing). We have been having temps of 50 F (10 C.) over night. Day temps around 70 F (20 C) This week however the day temps jumped up to 80 F (26 C) but no sign of life.
Are they dead ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 04:57 AM

Re: Are roses dead ?

Probably not, Bakerman, it is a little early for roses to be out.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Hope not... don't give up on them just yet.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:32 AM

I find roses do much better in the garden. Pots tend to get water-logged or dry out and freeze if it's really cold. In the soil I think the roots are more protected.

I have hibiscus in pots that are way behind those in the soil. Just starting to come back to life, I think I will plant them out.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:09 AM

I prune my ones every year and hard.

Just looked at my ones to day and they are starting to produce flowers.

Agree with TessA much better in the Garden
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 04:15 PM

I think 15cm is a little hard but if you can see any buds showing on the stems, you're friend's roses will be OK.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 06:17 PM

I think it may be because they are in pots. Although you can end a rose by pruning too hard, it would be hard to kill two. They may benefit from being transferred to new ground, some compost, watering, food etc.

By the way the roses here are covered in buds and some are already blooming. I transferred a couple to a different spot last year after they were refusing to grow where they were. They are now thriving. They can be fussy about position and soil. I've not found roses in pots respond the way that planted ones do.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 08:05 PM

Oh, boy. I hope I did not tell/show my friend to cut them back too hard.
We did not know how much to water them throughout the winter months. So, I guessed that once / month would be enough. ????
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 09:39 PM

Bakerman, sorry to hear your well-meant efforts look a bit worrying at the moment.

I disagree with others about pots, as long as they are the right size tub for the size of rose.

For instance, you can buy what we over here call 'Patio Roses' which are designed for pots. On the other hand, I wouldn't think of putting a Rambler in a tub!

I happen to have 14 beautiful roses in large tubs here, and two more in the soil, so it can be done.
Just remember they can't put their roots out to find nutrients and water so are totally dependent on us to supply these.

There can be so many reasons why the plants are not moving much yet, e.g. Temperature, tired old compost, or wrong type of compost, not fed enough, bad drainage, Aphid attacks, but worst of all . . the dreaded Vine Weevals which eat away at the roots.

How old are the plants? Have they bloomed every other year alright? Is it only since you cut them hard back this problem has arisen?
I must say Sorry, but I do think 15 cm is a little drastic.

Mine are all in bud now and here, the roses mostly start to bloom in early June.
bakerman
Mexico

27-04-2020, 12:33 AM

Mups, I believe that his roses are only a year old. No idea what the species are.

After my BBQ yesterday I sprinkled the cool ash on them and then watered them without any other liquid fertilizer. Didn't want to burn the roots. If they start to come alive, I'll very gently feed them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top