Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Re: The Problem with the Civil Service.

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I will leave that to you to work out, it shouldn't be difficult.
It isn't. British civil service started in the 18th century, the EU in 1950. Voilą.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It isn't. British civil service started in the 18th century, the EU in 1950. Voilą.
Then you should be glad you are getting rid of the pestilence
Solly?
Donkeyman! 👍👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
To that I will add it also helps if your father served WWII in special ops and left military service with a well defined record.
I know that must be considered because it was always mentioned at each upward movement.
I will also add that if enough years are served, the linked pension can be as high as half of the best of last three years served and that cannot be sniffed at.
No wonder pensions are dragging uk down long driver!
I suppose the pensions are NON contributary also?

Donkeyman! 🙃🙃
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 05:59 PM

I get the impression that most contributors to this thread think that Civil Servants are highly-paid Crown employees working in Whitehall .....

AFAIK, there are some 500,000 civil servants working nationwide working in a variety of jobs and being paid a variety of salaries.

I live in the North-West and, after I retired, I took temporary positions at the DWP, the Insolvency Service and the Land Registry, thus becoming a Civil Servant. The positions, although administrative, were all contractual, a system that was replacing "jobs for life", so although positions are relatively well-paid, job security, AFAIK, has become a thing of the past. In the North-West, this has affected some 50,000 people, including those in the Prison Service and HMRC. As money for departments runs short (or even out), as it frequently does nowadays, job contracts are not renewed or employees are relocated elsewhere in the UK.

Many of my colleagues were Administrative Assistants or Administrative Officers earning, some 10 years ago, between £12,000 and £20,000 - not a huge amount but enough to sustain life (and some luxuries) - now hundreds of people that I worked with, all civil servants, are unemployed.

Those in Whitehall may fret about the office desk or the carpet but my colleagues are more concerned about food and clothes for children.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I get the impression that most contributors to this thread think that Civil Servants are highly-paid Crown employees working in Whitehall .....

Hi

That is my fault is the OP.

The vast majority of Civil Servants are not well paid and work throughout the UK.

They have a contributory Pension Scheme.

The issue is more with London, the Welsh Office etc.

The power is centralised there and that is where the high pay grades are.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

21-06-2020, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

AFAIK, there are some 500,000 civil servants working nationwide working in a variety of jobs and being paid a variety of salaries.

I live in the North-West and, after I retired, I took temporary positions at the DWP, the Insolvency Service and the Land Registry, thus becoming a Civil Servant. The positions, although administrative, were all contractual, a system that was replacing "jobs for life", so although positions are relatively well-paid, job security, AFAIK, has become a thing of the past. In the North-West, this has affected some 50,000 people, including those in the Prison Service and HMRC. As money for departments runs short (or even out), as it frequently does nowadays, job contracts are not renewed or employees are relocated elsewhere in the UK.

Many of my colleagues were Administrative Assistants or Administrative Officers earning, some 10 years ago, between £12,000 and £20,000 - not a huge amount but enough to sustain life (and some luxuries) - now hundreds of people that I worked with, all civil servants, are unemployed.

Those in Whitehall may fret about the office desk or the carpet but my colleagues are more concerned about food and clothes for children.
I'm afraid that that is what l thought Omah,thanks for putting me
right?
So all the work is done in the boondokes but the rewards are
distributed inside the London bubble, hmmm
So we know where to look when we do the cull?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:01 PM

To be VERY serious and I'm not making a glib remark there are two problems with UK civil servants.

They are anything but civil, certainly when dealing with the public, and have forgotten that they are SERVANTS and especially so to their minister.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 10:33 PM

The Fail safe Box, should be made available to public servants, so as to see, nuts and bolts, or lack of, can cause a catastrophic failure of the system.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-06-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The Fail safe Box, should be made available to public servants, so as to see, nuts and bolts, or lack of, can cause a catastrophic failure of the system.
We used to call it the left over bits box spitty!!
How could you apply that to bits of paper??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The vast majority of Civil Servants are not well paid and work throughout the UK.

They have a contributory Pension Scheme.
I concur.

When I left school, I joined the (Home) Civil Service as a 'Clerical Assistant'.

After a couple of years I was promoted to the exalted position of 'Clerical Officer'. Next grade up from the bottom.

Four years on and I escaped, and joined the RAF.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top