Join for free
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Beetroot for anemia

When nurse took my blood last - I am severely anemic and cant take iron - she said eat beetroot but haven't found one soft enough they are too scruncy and blood test coming up in June so want blood to improve.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 06:52 PM

Re: Beetroot for anemia

Oh I don't eat meat but cheese milk etc etc.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Some good sources of iron if you don't eat meat are
Fish, eggs, brown rice, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, leafy veg such as cabbage and kale, broccoli is also good and Spinach is really high in iron so excellent,
Eggs, Pulses and beans, nuts and seeds are just a few more.

Good luck with your next blood test
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:01 PM

You can buy beetroot juice nearly everywhere now, that may be a solution

If not cook your own till they are soft enough for liking

I roast mine, top and tail, wrap in a foil parcel with a drizzle of olive oil and I put them in when I'm going the roast dinner
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:03 PM

I found this for you, it may help.

https://pumpsandiron.com/2013/06/21/...reen-smoothie/
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 08:11 PM

I eat lots of watercress as it’s full of iron and l love it!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
When nurse took my blood last - I am severely anemic and cant take iron - she said eat beetroot but haven't found one soft enough they are too scruncy and blood test coming up in June so want blood to improve.
Hello sarah kay, I am also very anaemic and my iron levels very low but I think the last blood test I had they have gone up quite a bit. I have been on iron tablets for the last year and vitamin D46 (prescribed tablets). I have changed my way of eating this year.

I eat half a bag of raw spinach a day (I love it), I eat salad most days, snack on nuts and a few dried fruit. I had a tin of red kidney beans with my salad today. I've just given up the high sugary stuff, chocolate, cakes, biscuits.

I do have other medical problems as well. Have you been put on iron tablets? I take 2 a day. I think sorting out my anaemia and my iron levels is the key to a lot of my problems. Good luck anyway.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
Oh I don't eat meat but cheese milk etc etc.
That's the problem there.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I eat lots of watercress as it’s full of iron and l love it!
Are you sure of that?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Must go to Specsavers. Thought the title said beetroot for enemas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top