Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Shingles Injection Query.

I went to the surgery today for my Vitamin B12 injection.

Whilst there, the nurse offered me the Shingles injection. I refused, like l do the Flu injection.

I said to the nurse, l have never had Chicken Pox, so l didn’t think l could get Shingles.
She said, that l could still get Shingles without ever having Chicken Pox. Is she right?

Over the years, l have been in contact with people who have Shingles. All my children and most of my grandchildren have had Chicken Pox and l still didn’t get them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: Shingles Injection Query.

Just because you didn't develop full blown chicken pox doesn't mean you don't have the virus, particularly if you have been exposed and shown immunity. It's a good idea to have the shingles vaccine as you only get one chance to have it. It's particularly nasty to get shingles when you are much older. The vaccine greatly reduces your chances of getting it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Just because you didn't develop full blown chicken pox doesn't mean you don't have the virus, particularly if you have been exposed and shown immunity. It's a good idea to have the shingles vaccine as you only get one chance to have it. It's particularly nasty to get shingles when you are much older. The vaccine greatly reduces your chances of getting it.
I agree with this, shingles is a horrible illness and can be extremely painful, both my mum and grandma had it and I saw what they went through. If I'm offered it I think I would take it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Thank You, Annie. I am not sure about all these different vaccines. I just feel they are money makers for pharmaceutical companies and surgeries. Sorry to be so cynical.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I agree with this, shingles is a horrible illness and can be extremely painful, both my mum and grandma had it and I saw what they went through. If I'm offered it I think I would take it.
LQ, You can have mine if you want!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Believe me Art the NHS would not offer them if it wasn't to stop you wasting more NHS money when you contract the virus and get really sick (shingles is really horrid when you are old). There don't seem to be many side effects so it's a good idea to have the vaccine because they only offer it to you once. If you don't want flu vacs that's ok but this one is really worth having along with the pneumonia one.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 01:34 AM

Art... My friend Beautiful Filly, got them in her eyes (I think that is where she got them, I must ask her again). I got them twice, once on my tummy and once on my back.

It is so painful......

If I were you, I would take the vaccine, rather than taking a chance on getting the shingles. There is nothing to the vacine, no side effects that I know about. When I got my vaccine, it was $240.00, but I paid it as I never wanted to get shingles again if I could help it. Now the vaccine is free. I also got a pnemonia vaccine. I had pnemonia also....but now I get the vaccine, every 5 years I think....
cbrown372
Scotland
cbrown372 is female  cbrown372 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Get the vaccine Art. I contracted shingles at the beginning of June in my eye and through my head and I’m still suffering with it. It affects the nerve ends and is extremely painful. I was practically bed bound for a week unable to see properly and still having to use drops in my eye now two months on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 09:15 AM

I will be first in the queue when I am eligible for the shingles vaccination, I had shingles once many years ago it was a nightmare, I fear getting it again.
It has left me a permanent intermittent problem with nerves in my spine .
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/post-herpetic-neuralgia/

My neighbour had Shingles in October and was very ill for 3 months, she also has been left with post-herpetic neuralgia and is currently seeing a neurologist but has been told nothing can be done for her chronic pain only medication.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:14 AM

I took it too when it was offered after seeing how a Friend suffered with shingles,had the pneumonia one too which is a one off,I intend living to a ripe old age without the worry about catching either of these diseases

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top