Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:37 AM

Re: Shingles Injection Query.

You might still contract shingles after having the vaccination (there's a percentage who might) but in cases like that it should limit the severity and scope of the illness.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:41 AM

I wold get it Art, a nasty thing to endure, and it can be severe.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Art, it is your choice, but most people who have had shingles will tell you it is the most painful and irritating illness they have ever endured.
If your doctor has offered it they are just making sure they don't have to spend more money caring for you, if you do get it.... but vaccines are usually very good at preventing the illness and you may regret refusing it!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Believe me Art the NHS would not offer them if it wasn't to stop you wasting more NHS money when you contract the virus and get really sick
Really? Let's tease out the numbers on this.

The UK population is approx. 66 million.

Of those approx. 15,869,400 are aged between 50 yrs and 70yrs. Ref:
(https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lation-by-age/)

The Shingles vaccine is licensed for people aged 50+ and is offered free to those aged 70yrs.

It's rate of effectiveness is such that it prevents Shingles in just 38% of the people who are vaccinated. Ref:
(http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/shingles-vaccine)

So there is a lucrative market audience there of around 16m people who can be charged for a Shingles Vaccine.

Prices range from £100 to £200.

The Superdrug site lists it at £165, the GP Matters site lists it at £195

If we say on average it costs £150 then for that lucrative audience of 16m people that's a potential revenue of a colossal £2.4 BILLION ! Big Business indeed IF you can get mugs to take up the vaccine. Not only this but the vaccine only lasts a few years and then you need another, and then another . . . so this potential £2.4 bn business is in fact much much bigger.

Studies

There are not many peer reviewed studies regarding this vaccine but the ever reputable Cochrane Library attests that

"Pharmaceutical companies that produce the vaccines funded all of the included studies"

Not a great sign but very much par for the course in the big business of Big Pharma.

The largest study that has been done involved just 19,000 people.

Ingredients

A quick look at the ingredients is always a good idea. Here they are:

Active Ingredient: Varicella-zoster virus produced in human diploid (MRC-5) cells

Inactive Ingredients: Sucrose, hydrolysed gelatin, sodium chloride, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, potassium chloride, monosodium L-glutamate monohydrate, disodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide (to adjust pH), and urea.

Here's an article from NaturalNews about this vaccine and its ingredients:

https://www.naturalnews.com/050505_s...n_dangers.html

"the shingles vaccine or "Herpes Zoster" contains monosodium glutamate (MSG), a known neurotoxin which, when injected, can cause central nervous system disorders and brain damage."

"The shingles vaccine contains gelatin, which is derived from the collagen inside pig skin and bones, and injecting this hydrolyzed porcine gelatin poses the risk of infection from synthetic growth hormones. "

The article will also explain the dangers of the "human diploid MRC-5 cells, scroll down to the heading:

Shocking dangers of injecting MRC-5 cells - derived from the lung tissue of an aborted human fetus

Conclusion

With a minimum £2.4 billion revenue to be potentially had I'm afraid I'm not supportive of the suggestion that:

"the NHS would not offer them if it wasn't to stop you wasting more NHS money when you contract the virus "

Note that only 50,000 people a year contract the Shingles virus. Hard to believe that this small number of patients are costing the NHS so much money that they need to invent and roll out a £2.4 billion virus !

As with all these Big Pharma concoctions the Modus Operando is ALWAYS THE SAME. The same attributes are always present:

1. A concocted vaccine that needs repeated doses to work

2. Very few professional studies conducted and most/all funded by the pharmaceuticals themselves (thus wholly unreliable)

3. Vaccine marketed using the age old "Campaign Of Fear"

4. Prey on the weaker, more vulnerable older generation who are more likely to respond to the "Campaign Of Fear" and who come from a time when GPs and Health Services were deemed the "authority"

I will VERY happily take my chances with Shingles. Never had Chicken Pox and I know that Shingles typically only occurs if you have a weakened/compromised immune system.

Immune system is absolutely key to a whole raft of conditions. Put priority and effort into keeping your immune system in tip top condition and all these pathetic "Campaigns Of Fear" have absolutely no hold on you whatsoever.

Hence, no medications for me thanks, and definitely no flu jabs. Those are sure fire ways to damage your health which is an iterative downward spiral process.

Eat good foods, eat immune system boosting foods, don't eat foods containing processed crap and toxins. All will be well.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Oh I see Realist is managing to put an end to another health thread

Art, you will have already read what people, who care about health rather than what pharmaceutical companies are making, so I hope their comments have answered your query.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Oh I see Realist is managing to put an end to another health thread

Art, you will have already read what people, who care about health rather than what pharmaceutical companies are making, so I hope their comments have answered your query.
Stupid and uncalled for comment TBH. As ever you offer only anecdotal emotional input, no references, no facts.
A shame really.

Artangel has done well to follow her natural instinct to avoid such vaccines. What causes her question in the first place is simply the Campaign Of Fear perpetrated by these medical charlatans which nags at people's minds.

It's a natural reaction to such appalling disinformation. Will I get Shingles? Will it be really bad if I do? Will I die? Should I get the vaccine?

All pretty much scripted responses to the Campaign Of Fear.

Have faith in your instinct Artangel. It's your strongest defence mechanism. Do your research, look for facts, look for unbiased facts that are not funded by Big Pharma. Steer clear of silly anecdotal emotional content.

Stay healthy
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote from Realist’s post...
"the shingles vaccine or "Herpes Zoster" contains monosodium glutamate (MSG), a known neurotoxin which, when injected, can cause central nervous system disorders and brain damage.

In the past, I have had bad allergic reactions to monosodium glutamate (MSG) and avoid any foods that contain it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

23-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Quote from Realist’s post...
"the shingles vaccine or "Herpes Zoster" contains monosodium glutamate (MSG), a known neurotoxin which, when injected, can cause central nervous system disorders and brain damage.

In the past, I have had bad allergic reactions to monosodium glutamate (MSG) and avoid any foods that contain it.
And that is why it has to be your decision! It also contains sucrose and I am diabetic, but I would much prefer the risk of short term high blood sugar, than Shingles!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 05:11 PM

You know real, no matter how healthy we keep ourselves we are all gonna die eventually. Just the word shingles is a fear in itself. Sometimes the healthiest of people develop auto immune conditions. The way you talk is so patronising at times.

I do agree with a lot of what you say but in this occasion you yourself are on a fear campaign, that fear being fear of the medical profession. A simple answer would have been more appreciated instead of the essay making people who might opt for the vaccine feel stupid!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 05:15 PM

The vaccine is proven to prevent about 40% of shingles in those between 70 and 79 and reduce symptoms and severity by 50% of those who are vaccinated but still have a shingles attack.

The NHS only give it to that age group because it's not considered cost effective for other groups. The reason it's given is because shingles can be life threatening in the elderly and especially if you have other conditions.

If you have had an allergic reaction to ingredients then of course you should not have the vaccine. It's always a personal choice but this isn't something you will catch from others if you have the vaccine. Pretty much everyone is a carrier of Herpes Zoster even if you haven't had an episode of Chicken Pox you're likely to have a dormant virus.

This is an Australian source :

http://www.ncirs.edu.au/assets/provi...fact-sheet.pdf

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top