Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Re: Does anyone else have an Amazon Echo?

Originally Posted by summer ->
My daughter has Alexa .....sometimes it laughs for no reason, that would freak me out. My grandson loves it and asks for the same song over and over
Mine sometimes chips in for no reason. My wife and I were discussing Alex Salmond yesterday and Alexa said she didn't know that one.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Just my personal take, but I do wonder what kind of man (or indeed woman) is so . . . inadequate, that they need a tool to switch a light on and off for them, or to fetch info from the internet or to switch on a radio station.

Just smacks of total weakness to me.

Add to all that the notion that Amazon is recording your voice and able to spy on everything you do and you really have to wonder what people see in these gadgets. I find them ridiculous.

God help these people if they ever find themselves on a desert island.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Just my personal take, but I do wonder what kind of man (or indeed woman) is so . . . inadequate, that they need a tool to switch a light on and off for them, or to fetch info from the internet or to switch on a radio station.

Add to all that the notion that Amazon is recording your voice and able to spy on everything you do and you really have to wonder what people see in these gadgets. I find them ridiculous.

You are aware that they have an on/off switch or that you can turn off your WiFi? Also, I can turn my lights on and off remotely from my phone when I'm out and about. A good security feature.
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:59 AM

And yet you have a computer?? Why?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Dawkins ->
And yet you have a computer?? Why?
Because the breadth and depth of the internet is vastly bigger than the information in a public library and I can search and retrieve information in an instant.

This is no comparison to an Echo with voice control.

I don't need my computer to have voice control to search the internet for me. I'm quite capable of opertaing it myself.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Because the breadth and depth of the internet is vastly bigger than the information in a public library and I can search and retrieve information in an instant.

I don't need my computer to have voice control to search the internet for me. I'm quite capable of opertaing it myself.
A pity your spellchecker doesn't work.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:34 PM

I don't have anything like that and to be honest I can't see any need for them. To me they are just another electronic toy for people with too much money to waste. yes I could easily afford but choose not to
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Dawkins ->
Mine sometimes chips in for no reason. My wife and I were discussing Alex Salmond yesterday and Alexa said she didn't know that one.
Haha, that is just the sort of annoying thing that these AI devices do, it woud drive me mad, plus I don't believe it would be able to answer any question I might have.

It's bad enough when you phone a help line and talk to a human (well I assume they are human ) and why do web sies always have a 'frequently asked question' section So far I have never seen a FAQ page where my question is answered and usually they are such stupid questions I imagine the peole asking are mentally sub normal
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I have an Amazon Echo in the lounge for listening to the radio or Amazon Prime music, setting timers, newsbriefs, etc. At a predetermined time it will switch on the lounge lights but can also be turned on and off by voice command. A voice command late at night will turn the lounge lights off and turn my bedroom table lamp on. An Echo Dot in the bedroom also acts as my alarm clock and radio as well as turning the lamp off when I tell it to. I have another Dot in my study to listen to music and for the usual timer function. Put my tea on the hob to warm up, set the timer and back to the computer.

I love gadgets.

........ deleted.
Jack Dawkins
London

27-08-2018, 03:41 PM

But I can find the answer to a lot of questions simply by asking Alexa without leaving my desk or clicking on buttons or typing. So basically it's simply an even quicker and more convenient way of getting information.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top