Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Have you ever dealt with disordered eating?

Just for the heck of it, in my 20's, I decided to go low carb. It wasn't easy, but I stuck to it. The weight fell off of me. I was shocked. However, seeing how easy it was to lose weight, I became very good at it. Every time I'd lose 5 pounds, I'd say "Just 5 more." And on and on it went until I was so thin, my friends and family were literally concerned about me. I developed habits and schedules and plans and routines and I became a slave to my kitchen scales. Everything I ate had to be precise in weight. I became more and more strict with myself. Shopping was a numbers game because I was constantly looking at calorie and carb content. I got myself to the point where eating only a half of a sandwich was all I could manage or I would feel physically sick.

Now, I know that doesn't happen to everyone who goes on some sort of diet. But something in my brain got messed up and I became obsessed with food. My whole world revolved around it and my doctor told me I was borderline anorexic. I got to the point of being literally terrified to eat because I was afraid that anything I would put into my body would make me fat again. I didn't have a social life anymore. I alienated myself from my friends because no way could I eat food that wasn't prepared by my own hands. I had to know exactly what was in it before I would eat it. So no more dinners out, no more parties, no more cookouts, nothing.

Luckily I broke the cycle and slowly started to bring myself out of it because I knew if I didn't do something soon, I would waste away to nothing. My health was also in jeopardy because I was seriously lacking in nutrients.

My sister had bulimia for many years. And it made me wonder, as I got older, where do these types of mindsets come from? What happened in our childhood to make two sisters develop eating disorders? I've struggled with my weight all my life. I've either been too thin from not eating enough or too heavy from eating too much. I was never over or underweight as a child. I was of a normal weight my entire childhood and even through my teens. But once I entered my 20's, that's when the troubles began.

Did you deal with an eating disorder when you were young? Or maybe you're dealing with one now. I've learned that eating disorders are affecting more and more older adults.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Re: Have you ever dealt with disordered eating?

Linda, I have never had an eating disorder, but I have always been curious about it, so I just want to say "thank you" for sharing this with us. I found it very interesting and hoping others will join in if they have this.

I am very curious about our minds. Being bipolar has opened my eyes wide, and I enjoy researching and listening to others that have a disorder of the mind. Not enough attention has been given to us in the medical field. We are frowned at and people get angry at us for being sick in our minds. It is not fair!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 05:59 PM

Yes! Back in 1994/95 I went through a period in my life that was just like you described Linda. I’ used to do marathon walks with my shepherd and the fat got burned off quickly. Seeing how sculptured and toned my body was becoming I got carried away . At over 5’7” and 103 pounds I realized I was becoming anorexic. Getting put on antidepressants changed all that though which was good. People’s whose opinion I trusted kept telling me I was far too thin and once the depression lifted I could understand that. Now I’m at a healthy weight and never let myself get below 120.
It’s a difficult thing to go through but I do understand it to some degree.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Linda, I have never had an eating disorder, but I have always been curious about it, so I just want to say "thank you" for sharing this with us. I found it very interesting and hoping others will join in if they have this.

I am very curious about our minds. Being bipolar has opened my eyes wide, and I enjoy researching and listening to others that have a disorder of the mind. Not enough attention has been given to us in the medical field. We are frowned at and people get angry at us for being sick in our minds. It is not fair!
I know what you mean. I have GAD (genealized anxiety disorder) and one day it just hit me out of nowhere. I take medication for it. But at first I didn't know what was going on and ended up in the emergency room because I thought I was dying. Test after test, hour after hour, nothing physically wrong with me. They told me my problem wasn't physical, it was mental.

The mind is a very powerful thing and it led me to believe I wouldn't live to see the next half hour of my life.

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes! Back in 1994/95 I went through a period in my life that was just like you described Linda. I’ used to do marathon walks with my shepherd and the fat got burned off quickly. Seeing how sculptured and toned my body was becoming I got carried away . At over 5’7” and 103 pounds I realized I was becoming anorexic. Getting put on antidepressants changed all that though which was good. People’s whose opinion I trusted kept telling me I was far too thin and once the depression lifted I could understand that. Now I’m at a healthy weight and never let myself get below 120.
It’s a difficult thing to go through but I do understand it to some degree.
I'm glad you were able to overcome it. Because, unfortunately, many people don't and they die from complications of disordered eating and malnutrition because their bodies simply begin to shut down. I'm so glad we pulled ourselves out of it in time.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 06:15 PM

I've had anorexia twice. First time (2004) was sort of self inflicted, like previous people have said, I went on a diet, lost a load of weight and didn't know when to stop. It was my sister, who I hadn't seen for a while, that made me realise when she asked was I suffering from some awful disease as I looked so ill

The second time (2009/10) was accidental I suppose you could say. My husband had a digestive cancer and because he couldn't eat nor could I. Even after he died I just couldn't stomach food, I'd heave as soon as it went in my mouth. I had to see my doctor about something else and he was shocked at the weight loss and sent me for loads of tests. They all came back clear so he realised it was all "mental".

He told me to "go away and bloody eat, woman!" Easier said than done though. In the end I was having Complan mixed with full fat milk and ice cream 3 times a day until I could stomach food again.

These days I'm carrying too much weight but am a bit scared to diet as I don't want to go down that same road again
Linda0818
USA

01-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I've had anorexia twice. First time (2004) was sort of self inflicted, like previous people have said, I went on a diet, lost a load of weight and didn't know when to stop. It was my sister, who I hadn't seen for a while, that made me realise when she asked was I suffering from some awful disease as I looked so ill

The second time (2009/10) was accidental I suppose you could say. My husband had a digestive cancer and because he couldn't eat nor could I. Even after he died I just couldn't stomach food, I'd heave as soon as it went in my mouth. I had to see my doctor about something else and he was shocked at the weight loss and sent me for loads of tests. They all came back clear so he realised it was all "mental".

He told me to "go away and bloody eat, woman!" Easier said than done though. In the end I was having Complan mixed with full fat milk and ice cream 3 times a day until I could stomach food again.

These days I'm carrying too much weight but am a bit scared to diet as I don't want to go down that same road again
I can completely understand why you don't want to diet. I could stand to lose some weight as well, but dealing with someone in the household who has cancer and seeing the weight they've lost and they're weak because of it, I figure if I ever get sick and end up in the hospital, I'm going to need the extra weight I've got.

You went through quite an ordeal and I'm sorry about your husband. I know how hard it is to watch someone go through (and even die) from cancer. It's a nasty, nasty disease.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 06:41 PM

I've been going through a weird phase since my "tummy trouble" which you can read about on a thread about pump inhibitors somewhere.

I feel like eating something, fancy food in the supermarket but as soon as I go to buy it or if I do buy it and go to cook it I get a queasy feeling. I just know it will have me running to the loo if I eat it.
I eat cereal for breakfast, no lunch usually, very simple tea, fish usually and little else.
The strange thing is I don't loose weight.
The gp has just put me on Metclopramide but after reading the contra- indications my tablet phobia has kicked in.
Linda0818
USA

01-09-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've been going through a weird phase since my "tummy trouble" which you can read about on a thread about pump inhibitors somewhere.

I feel like eating something, fancy food in the supermarket but as soon as I go to buy it or if I do buy it and go to cook it I get a queasy feeling. I just know it will have me running to the loo if I eat it.
I eat cereal for breakfast, no lunch usually, very simple tea, fish usually and little else.
The strange thing is I don't loose weight.
The gp has just put me on Metclopramide but after reading the contra- indications my tablet phobia has kicked in.
I went through something like that too. I'd feel super hungry, but then eating would make me feel sick and just small amounts would fill me up fast. Also had a lot of heartburn. Turns out I had some bad bacteria in my gut (H. Pylori) and had to go on antibiotics to eradicate it.

I also have IBS and have to take anti-diarrheal tablets on a regular basis. As well, I take omeprazole every 2-3 days to keep the heartburn at bay.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 07:21 PM

I heard something very interesting the other day , a woman who has been constantly dieting all her life and always regained the weight said , when your thin and dieting you feel in control and attractive , you love yourself and sparkle with being alive and attractive , clothes look amazing on you because your slim , but as time goes on and the weight returns as it always does , you become your self the person who you really are , yet while your dieting you are not really you .

I've done this for 52 yrs I was a chubby from a chubby family , I disliked myself , always have hated the chubby me . I loved being slim but often overdid it and ended up too thin , yet I thought I looked great . Over the years the weight has come and gone , life time membership of weight watchers and other groups .

Some of us are naturally chubby I think ,
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I went through something like that too. I'd feel super hungry, but then eating would make me feel sick and just small amounts would fill me up fast. Also had a lot of heartburn. Turns out I had some bad bacteria in my gut (H. Pylori) and had to go on antibiotics to eradicate it.

I also have IBS and have to take anti-diarrheal tablets on a regular basis. As well, I take omeprazole every 2-3 days to keep the heartburn at bay.
Linda it was omeprazole which caused me no end of trouble, that's what started it all!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top