Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Police eye tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45387965

The police will eye test drivers they stop, and will revoke the licences of those who fail the test. That seems like a good idea. I think all UK police forces should do this.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Re: Police eye tests

I think there's a big difference between reading a number plate and seeing a person or obstacle in the road.
I wonder why it matters whether you can read something also what about people who can't read?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think there's a big difference between reading a number plate and seeing a person or obstacle in the road.
I wonder why it matters whether you can read something also what about people who can't read?
If they can't read they shouldn't be driving.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Passing the written test would be impossible if you could not read.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

03-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Passing the written test would be impossible if you could not read.
Exactly. Anyway you need to be able to read road signs etc.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:43 PM

I bet there will be loads of older people failing, they didn't do written tests and with buses being so bad they'll be stuck.
Will they be able to wear their glasses for test?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Lets hope they can see the copper standing in front of them.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:57 PM

I certainly don't think it should be an instant ban by police unless they are acting in a dangerous manner. I also think there is a bit of a difference between reading road signs and seeing and being fully aware of everything that is going on around you, to being able to read a number plate 20 metres in front of you. I'm not sure some good drivers would still be able to do it as they age and their eyesight fades a little from 50-50 vision.

What happens if a policeman is in a bad mood and decides to take it out on drivers? Power can be a terrible thing in some hands.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

03-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Too many older people are driving who shouldn't be doing so, like my late mother, she should have had her licence removed at least 10 years before it was! She was often seen driving her car without wearing her much needed specs, as she didn't like wearing them, she didn't think they improved her looks, the stupid woman!

I have asked my children to inform me the minute they are concerned about my driving, and I will give up immediately.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I certainly don't think it should be an instant ban by police unless they are acting in a dangerous manner. I also think there is a bit of a difference between reading road signs and seeing and being fully aware of everything that is going on around you, to being able to read a number plate 20 metres in front of you. I'm not sure some good drivers would still be able to do it as they age and their eyesight fades a little from 50-50 vision.

What happens if a policeman is in a bad mood and decides to take it out on drivers? Power can be a terrible thing in some hands.
I agree. They should have to attend an eye test given by a qualified optician not a ticket monster.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top