Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Florence is a monster

As hurricane Florence closes in on the North Carolina coast, she is currently categorized as a level 4. With winds of 140 mile/hour (225 kph)

They are predicting a storm surge of 15 feet above normal high tide and rainfall of up to 30 inches. (76 cm)

Weather forecasters are saying that no place within 150 miles of the coast is safe.

I have been in a number of hurricanes. Camille was so bad that she actually ripped up railroad tracks.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Re: Florence is a monster

Not good. My relatives there evacuated to North Georgia.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Bad news. Terrible for those people.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:52 PM

If you are directly on the coast, then it's largely a matter of choice. These days, most waterfront properties in SC and NC, like here, are vacation rentals. They will be empty and are well-insured. Around here, we help the elderly get situated and make arrangements for their evacuation if need be. I have a solid evacuation plan and we have used it three times. Once the damage was bad enough that we were out of our home for several months, mostly because of infrastructure problems - roads and power lines washed out- not because of the house design which sustained minimal damage.

My concern is for the wildlife - and for Florence, the wild ponies that run freely on Assateague Island, although they could be evacuated since there are only 150 of them.

These storms are mighty and spectacular. The first thing I do in the morning is check the National Hurricane Service to stay on top of the tropical weather this time of year. I am watching two potential storms right now for improbable but possible impact.

In the end, "The foolish man builds his house upon the sand." Guilty as charged.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:58 PM

My niece is off to North Carolina in a few weeks ..her first flight alone too.
I hope everyone will be as safe as they can be..I shall be keeping an eye on the storm carefully too
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Terrible news, but thank the Lord we have the methods nowadays for giving advance warning of such a potential catastrophe heading your way. My heart goes out to you in the States, I hope everyone will be safe.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Scary stuff.
Stay safe all those in the path.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Batten the hatches and seal the doors, then get the hell out of the way. Florence is trailing two more tropical storms that are growing, immediately behind her.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:50 PM

May reach category 5 intensity, the highest classification.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 06:53 PM

I hope all our American members will be safe .... thinking of you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top