Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Re: Another scam

I've had one telling me they have recorded me and unless I pay them money they will publish the recording I'm not sure what they think I have been up to
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
This morning I received an email purportedly from TV Licensing saying that my direct debit had been declined by the bank for my TV licence and that if I didn't pay they would cancel my licence and report me to a debt collection agency!

The email has been deleted because:

a) our TV licence is in my husband's name not mine and isn't due for renewal until February - when it will be paid in full, not by direct debit

b) the licence number they gave was not the same as the one on our licence

Although I knew it was a scam it gave me quite a turn for a few minutes until I had found and checked our licence. So please everyone beware of this latest email scam!
Thanks Margaret good to know
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've had one telling me they have recorded me and unless I pay them money they will publish the recording I'm not sure what they think I have been up to
How much do they want?

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 06:19 PM

We pay for ours monthly by DD, It's also six months in advance, so you'd have known ages ago if a payment had been missed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Just had a telephone call from "BT" (I'm with Virgin!).
Basically, apparently there is "a problem with my internet connection" and these helpful people offered to help me correct it.
This involved me pressing CTRL and R (which I didn't do).

Being well aware of this sort of scam, and not being particularly busy, I decided to play along. I behaved in a manner that would suggest a complete lack of understanding, which seemed to please the caller and encouraged him to continue to explain procedures to me.

Eventually, tiring of this charade and having kept him talking for 8 minutes, I explained that I am aware of this being a scam and asked if he would like to talk to me for a little longer. He rang off!

I'd encourage everyone, assuming they are not busy and have a few minutes to spare, to follow a similar procedure. After all, it does reduce the time they can spend trying to con others, some of whom may well fall for their nefarious activities.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just had a telephone call from "BT" (I'm with Virgin!).
Basically, apparently there is "a problem with my internet connection" and these helpful people offered to help me correct it.
This involved me pressing CTRL and R (which I didn't do)..
CTRL R doesn't seem to do anything much. However, WIN R opens a run program dialog button, into which the scammer would no doubt ask you to type in something else which would probably end up (at some stage) with giving him access to your computer.

I agree with your sentiments about wasting their time to help stop others getting scammed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
CTRL R doesn't seem to do anything much. However, WIN R opens a run program dialog button, into which the scammer would no doubt ask you to type in something else which would probably end up (at some stage) with giving him access to your computer.

I agree with your sentiments about wasting their time to help stop others getting scammed.
My apologies. His direction was, in fact, to press the WIN key and R.
He initially referred to the CTRL key in an attempt to navigate me to the WIN key, me being (fully intentionally) tenpence to t'shilling.
Of course, that's why I never got as far as following his WIN+R instruction. I knew exactly what was coming!

Serously, these people really annoy me.
They won't successfully con us, we who know their disgusting game. However, they will and do cause many old people (older than me - I'm not old!) a great deal of suffering. I'd shoot the lot of them (the scammers, not the oldies) given the chance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top