Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 12:11 PM

There's Nowt So Angry As Yorkshire Folk!

Just been reading the following in the Sunday Mail. Serious subject I appreciate, but it made me smile to myself when I think of how HWMO sometimes acts at another driver's stupidity on the roads.

Confession time… Are you guilty of overreacting to other drivers’ mistakes?

Yorkshire folk have a reputation for plain speaking, but it seems they are also among the angriest drivers in Britain.
Some 21 per cent of motorists in the county admitted they had exhibited one or more of the typical ‘’road-rage behaviour’’ in the past month.
These included winding down windows to swear at other drivers, making offensive gestures, tailgating and honking horns repeatedly.

Only the Scots could match them for bad manners behind the wheel, Those from the South West of England were the most placid, with just 13 per cent confessing to a fit of road rage in the past month. London was surprisingly low in the league table with 15 per cent.

Other road-rage hotspots were Wales and North West England (20 per cent) and the West Midlands (19 per cent) - all substantially higher than the South East (16 per cent), East Midlands (15 per cent) and East of England (14 per cent).

The survey of 2,000 motorists was carried out by road-safety charity Brake and the technology company Garmln.

Unquote.

True or False? Are you guilty of any of the above and what area do you live in?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Re: There's Nowt So Angry As Yorkshire Folk!

SG, I can be a bit fiery but not usually to other drivers. I realise we have all made mistakes whilst driving, so why criticise other drivers?

Slow drivers annoy me, especially those who are policing the traffic but l just stay patient!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 01:13 PM

I'm a Yorkshire lass....have to admit I do react on occasions but not in the usual way.... I have been known to blow a kiss or as I mentioned here a while ago sticking my tongue out at the other driver..... that got me into a lot of trouble by the way so I won't do that again... he chased me for a few miles and only gave up when I quickly parked the car and ran into a local supermarket.....bit scary that,

I dont think on the whole though that Yorkshire folk are any more aggressive on the road than anywhere else...on the whole I think we are far better mannered than most ..... especially those southerners.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

I think all drivers everywhere need to show a little more courtesy to other drivers and stop being so impatient, will 2 minutes more on a journey really make that much difference.

I let 2 cars go out of a junction in front of me the other day and incurred the wrath of the driver behind, no one was going anywhere the next set of lights were at red .

This frequently happens to me ,I am tempted to stop my car get out and ask the rude person behind if someone in their car is due to give birth imminently or is dying if not try to have a little patience for the sake of their health. I don't because such is the state of society these days I would probsbly get thumped in my face
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Oh my goodness Meg, that brings back memories of younger days when cars were back then allowed to drive both ways in Oxford Street. I will never forget once being in the passenger seat of my best friend's Canary Yellow Convertible Triumph Spitfire, parked at traffic lights nearing Oxford Circus.
Now, I don't exaggerate when I say she was your typical example of a beautiful young London born female, model figure, smartly dressed with long blonde hair and a dazzling smile, and always the model of decorum and good manners.

I don't know what it was, but this fact alone seems to grate on some male drivers' masculine pride. You know what I mean - Woman driver, able to afford smart convertible etc, posing in the centre of London, (of course we were, young, free and fun-loving).

Anyhow, there we were sat at a red light waiting for it to change to green . She was a very careful driver, as one needs to be to drive through London streets, (I couldn't do it!) She had this thing about never moving off from traffic lights while the lights were amber, she would always wait for green, but in this instance, the man in the car behind her wasn't prepared to let her, he opened the driver's window, shook his fist at her, came out with a mouthful of absolute foul language, calling her every name under the sun, all the time shaking his fist at her. All the pedestrians walking along the pavement were staring at this idiot bellowing like a bull at her.

What happened next though gave me the biggest shock of my life. My friend, who had her own market stall in Church Street Market in NW1 selling swimwear in the summer and woollen goods in the winter, suddenly opened her car door, strolled back and right up to the window and into the face of the berk behind that had been insulting her, and gave him the biggest mouthful of the same foul language that he had just hurled at her.
He was absolutely gobsmacked! and just sat there saying nothing. I was too. Because she had done this, there was a row of traffic going right down Oxford Street and the traffic light had changed more than once and was now on Red again. She just calmly strolled back to her door which was fully open, sat down, grinned at me and said "I don't take that sort of crap from any man'

Not a further peep was heard from the creep behind.

Wow! good job there hadn't been a policeman around then.

It just made me laugh to myself when I read your post.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2019, 09:34 PM

I'm a Yorkshire lass and not really an angry driver and I wouldn't dream of tailgating anyone like I've had done to me many a time.

I don't think you can say drivers in a particular area are more angry than others.

I really don't like driving mainly because of other drivers who suffer road rage and those who like to intimidate.

Everyone is in a rush these days.

Summer, I bet that was well scary when that driver followed you! I'd have been petrified.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 02:40 AM

Motoring Research

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...ers-yorkshire/

Official: Britain’s worst drivers are in Yorkshire

September 4, 2019/by Ethan Jupp

New data from the Department for Transport (DfT) shows exactly where Britain’s worst drivers are.

The findings are based on the number of licence penalty points given to motorists in each postcode area.

In general, Yorkshire doesn’t fare well. In Halifax, Bradford and Huddersfield, nine percent figure of motorists have points on their licence. Halifax leads with 9.62 percent, while Bradford and Huddersfield follow at 9.46 percent and 9.04 percent respectively.

That means nearly 11,000 of Halifax’s 111,820 motorists have penalty points.

Bristol and Doncaster complete the top five worst places for UK drivers, with 8.58 and 8.54 percent having points.

The remainder of the top 10 is made up by Wakefield, Leeds, Luton, Slough and Harrogate. In all these areas, more than eight percent of local drivers have points.

Looking at areas where drivers have 12 points or more, London leads by far. A total of 969 people in the capital effectively have enough points to be disqualified. In Birmingham, the figure is 393 people.

Peterborough, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Doncaster and Cardiff are all home to more than 200 drivers with 12 points or more. In total, 11,021 motorists have maxed-out licences (figure correct in March 2019).

Overall, 6.65 percent of UK motorists, or 2,711,493 people, don’t have a clean licence.
Of course, it's only a comparison of points .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Motoring Research

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...ers-yorkshire/

Of course, it's only a comparison of points .....
Concerning though when it's considered that if we live in any of those areas,
as I do in one of them, they drive amongst us!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top