Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is online now
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,911
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
21

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Baz the scary thing is that in my experience these people are not using their phones. They are just naturally rude and intimidating people. There has been a general reduction in good manners and goodwill in the last few years. So it can be such a shock when someone is polite and kind these days.
Yes, I can only agree with your comments. My particular annoyance is those who just walk without regard for others, not just in supermarkets but anywhere, looking down at their mobile phones. There is, I agree, a definite reduction in all forms of good manners generally. This is also noticed on the roads. People who cannot get any further in a queue of cars, simply do not think that so give way or allow others who can go on their way, to do so. No wonder there is 'road rage' at times, these types simply should not be on the roads! IMO that is.
Reply With Quote
Tiffany's Avatar
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Tiffany is online now
Devon
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 8,849
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 11:11 AM
22

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In the past, l found the best time to go shopping for groceries at Christmas was going around midnight to a Tescoís thatís open all night.
Usually the vegetables have been stacked ready for the morning shoppers and itís lovely and quiet with no queues.
We usually go to our big Tesco late night, as you say, Artangel, most items are already stacked on the shelves & if something isn't I just ask the person doing the stacking if they have it & they always, if they do have it, go & get it for me. Our Tesco staff are lovely people.
If I know during the day the big store is going to be busy then I go to the small local one, or our local Co-op, for top up items.
Reply With Quote
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Senior Member
Bread is online now
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 4,482
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
23

Re: Supermarket Stress

Dunno why everyone is shopping for loads of stuff for christmas, it was only a few weeks ago they were stock-piling everything for Brexit

We aren't buying any food really for Christmas. Instead of Christmas dinner and all that malarkey, we are going to the Indian instead. I can't be bothered with all the hassle - nobody likes it anyway and all the stuff like "apple sauce", "stuffing" and the rest of the crap I'm compelled to buy "because its christmas" just goes in the bin.

So we though knickers to christmas and we are off out to the Indian to gorge on the "all you can eat buffet" (£39 a head).
Reply With Quote
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
Lion Queen is online now
UK
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 6,383
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 12:10 PM
24

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Dunno why everyone is shopping for loads of stuff for christmas, it was only a few weeks ago they were stock-piling everything for Brexit

We aren't buying any food really for Christmas. Instead of Christmas dinner and all that malarkey, we are going to the Indian instead. I can't be bothered with all the hassle - nobody likes it anyway and all the stuff like "apple sauce", "stuffing" and the rest of the crap I'm compelled to buy "because its christmas" just goes in the bin.

So we though knickers to christmas and we are off out to the Indian to gorge on the "all you can eat buffet" (£39 a head).
I love traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings.

We eat stuffing all year round with our roast chicken Sunday dinner. I don't like apple sauce.

I love Indian food too but I don't think we'll ever eat it for Christmas dinner, just wouldn't feel the same somehow.

We love evrything traditional at Christmas.

Might have a curry at night though!
Reply With Quote
rhosyn's Avatar
rhosyn
Senior Member
rhosyn is offline
South Wales
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,800
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 12:28 PM
25

Re: Supermarket Stress

In my local M&S food hall(not a large one)on Saturday-the bottles of gin with gold bits in it(as advertised!)were causing riots.One gentleman had 5 bottles in his trolley and one of the staff told him that it was one bottle per customer because of the high demand for the product.Other customers started crowed round and more staff appeared,it was farcical.Don't know how it all ended-I made a quick retreat.
Reply With Quote
Roxy's Avatar
Roxy
Chatterbox
Roxy is online now
Caithness.
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,590
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
26

Re: Supermarket Stress

Errrrrr, I'm one of those who have their mobile phone out in the supermarket.
The reason is because I have an App that is my Shopping List and I refer to it every now and again.
I always forgot my list when I used to write it but I don't forget my phone, I went searching for a Shopping List App and found a great one, so now I add to it as I would a written out one.
Reply With Quote
shropshiregirl's Avatar
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
shropshiregirl is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,807
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 08:00 PM
27

Re: Supermarket Stress

OMG, after reading about your horror visit to Morrisons, I thank the good Lord I shop online. I am on Delivery Saver with Tesco (pay 6 monthly or 12 monthly in advance for delivery for quarter price of the usual weekly delivery cost).

Because of this, we were informed that for delivery on the 19th,20th, 21st 22nd and 23rd December, we could place our orders for those Christmas delivery dates from 27th November.

Well, you can imagine. every Tesco Online Shopper throughout the UK that is a Delivery Saver, would be vying for their usual preferred one-hour delivery slot on those dates. Right, I thought, I want mine delivered on 23rd, so I decided to use my cunning and stay up until the stroke of midnight and grab a slot at a few minutes past. I had already chosen all my shopping that I would need, I would be already logged into Tesco,but couldn't go through to checkout until I had chosen a delivery hour and date, which was my aim! I WAS READY TO DO BATTLE!

So there I was, needing matchsticks for my eyes to try and stay awake but determined to get my delivery slot for said date. At 5 to midnight, I logged into the Tesco website, double-checked my list of shopping to ensure I hadn't left anything out, and waited patiently for about 2 minutes past midnight to arrive. I watched the little clock in the bottom right corner of my laptop go from 1158, 1159, 0000, 0001, 0002 - and then I pounced! straight into ''pick a delivery date''.

But what was this? nothing was happening! the page that I was on would not move onward to the pick a delivery page.
the page was stuck. I frantically logged out and then in again, but still I couldn't get through to the page to pick a delivery. Then nightmare! up comes the message I did not want to see..."Sorry, we apologise, we appear to be experiencing problems with this page, please try later''
In other words, because every other Tesco shopper in England and Wales who has delivery saver, had thought up the same flippin plan of action as me.
The bloomin website had crashed!!

I was so deflated. HWMO who had stayed up to keep me company even suggested waiting for half an hour or so to try again, and keep trying, but I was so tired, I thought to hell with it, I will be up at 7am as usual, I will try then and tough if they have all gone, I was a prisoner to technology.

Anyhow, at 7am on the dot, with crossed legs cos I hadn't even been to the bathroom, I turned my laptop on, went through to Tesco pick a delivery date page without any problem,, fully expecting to see rows and rows of ''unavailable'' for the one hour slots on every single day from 19th - 23rd December.
True to form, there were row upon row of unavailable dancing before my eyes, but wait! the hour and date that I wanted and waited for, was still available!!!! I couldn't believe it. I quickly pounced on it and there it was BOOKED! I quickly went through to checkout with my ready list of groceries before the computer he say NO could happen and YEAH. Christmas grocery shopping done! I still cannot believe that my date and time of between 11am - 12 was still available. I can only assume that someone had originally booked it and then changed their mind before I logged on and chose one of the last two or three hour slot times around 11pm - midnight that were left for that date. but I didn't care. I was one happy bunny.

What a palava, but would still rather go through what I went through rather than the push and shove of going to the supermarkets. I couldn't do it. I think I would be ready to kill.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is online now
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,650
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 08:18 PM
28

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I was browsing the cold meat section and this man just grabbed hold of my trolley and moved it out of the way quite abruptly while I had hold of it. I was like eh??? what do you think you are doing. He said well you had your trolley in the way! and he was really mad.
I've just come across this thread, and a couple of things stood out to me.

I'm absolutely sure you weren't like some that I have seen, but I have found it not uncommon for some shoppers to leave their trolleys right in the middle of the aisle without it ever crossing their mind that someone else might want to come past!

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
So, I stood patientely (well, impatiently really) waiting my turn in the queue and I was queuing for 20 minutes when all of a sudden with only 1 customer in front of me the bloody checkout operator told me, "sorry, this till is closing"
By this time I just felt like dumping my trolley full of food and frozen stuff and walking out.
Now that is something I have actually done. Not with a full trolley, though (I don't do large shops on my own as that's Marge's job, though I have to trail along with her for some reason), but with a small hand basket. When a checkout woman suddenly decided to knock off without warning, I just left the full basket on the conveyor belt and walked out.
I assume that eventually someone was assigned to put everything back on the shelves.
Reply With Quote
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is online now
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,911
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 10:56 PM
29

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Errrrrr, I'm one of those who have their mobile phone out in the supermarket.
The reason is because I have an App that is my Shopping List and I refer to it every now and again.
I always forgot my list when I used to write it but I don't forget my phone, I went searching for a Shopping List App and found a great one, so now I add to it as I would a written out one.
I am sure you are nothing like those I see Roxy, you must glance at the mobile phone as I do when I glance at my shopping list. You are also looking up at the shelves I expect. These people I speak of are simply walking looking down permanently at their mobiles, no deviating until they approach one of those large trollies used for restocking the shelves, then they only see it as it comes into their downward vision so they side-step it regardless of who might be at the side of them. I also use an app. for shopping, this one is where you scan the bar code and it tells you the sugar, salt and fat content so it's a ready record to which I can refer. Other than using mobiles in that way I just cannot see the need to be glued to them, not knowing what is going on around you, it's beyond me.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,915
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-12-2019, 11:28 PM
30

Re: Supermarket Stress

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Dunno why everyone is shopping for loads of stuff for christmas, it was only a few weeks ago they were stock-piling everything for Brexit

We aren't buying any food really for Christmas. Instead of Christmas dinner and all that malarkey, we are going to the Indian instead. I can't be bothered with all the hassle - nobody likes it anyway and all the stuff like "apple sauce", "stuffing" and the rest of the crap I'm compelled to buy "because its christmas" just goes in the bin.

So we though knickers to christmas and we are off out to the Indian to gorge on the "all you can eat buffet" (£39 a head).
Oh I love all the Christmas preparations. It's great to have one time of year when you make things extra special. Doesn't matter whether you are religious or not because it was always a winter festival. A kind of necessary end to the darkest time of year.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.