Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:07 AM

Re: Mealworms, Mash & Peas....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I disagree.....
You only know the world is overpopulated by what you see on the news or David Attenborough documentaries.
You have all been taken in by the stuff you see in the media.
Go outside occasionally and drive out into the country.
I disagree with your comment ….you only have to go out as you suggest...take a flight over Brazil and it’s once mighty rain forests to appreciate the amount of clearing and devastation that’s gone on indeed still going on for cattle food and palm oil for McDs.
McDs token gesture of sustainable palm oil production no where near addresses the problem ..Palm oil grows in the tropics and needs rain forest conditions to survive ,now many regions within the forest can no longer provide those conditions bring floods due solely to deforestation. I have done several flights over Brazil & seen for myself. I believe our reliance on meat will have to end .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:18 AM

He has to eat Tabby, why would he cut off the hand that feeds him. David Bellamy did, and look what happened to him....
I adored David Bellamy - he was so passionate about his field of study. (no pun intended) I do agree that you have to toe the line with regard to the media - say the wrong thing and you are out the door.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:42 AM

I disagree.....
You only know the world is overpopulated by what you see on the news or David Attenborough documentaries.
You have all been taken in by the stuff you see in the media.
Go outside occasionally and drive out into the country.
Are you SERIOUS? There are more unmistakable indications of overpopulation ranging from water shortages, devastating overfishing and consequential collapse of fish stocks, destructive agriculture practices, global climate change as a result of anthropogenic pollution, food supply collapse and so much more.
Right here in the UK agricultural practices are wreaking havoc for example movement to monoculture, use of highly toxic chemicals on farms that are shattering the food chain which is why there are collapsing populations of everything from birds to bees because of the lack of the things they eat or simply being poisoned.
So getting out more simply underlines what is taking place world wide.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
I disagree with your comment ….you only have to go out as you suggest...take a flight over Brazil and it’s once mighty rain forests to appreciate the amount of clearing and devastation that’s gone on indeed still going on for cattle food and palm oil for McDs.
McDs token gesture of sustainable palm oil production no where near addresses the problem ..Palm oil grows in the tropics and needs rain forest conditions to survive ,now many regions within the forest can no longer provide those conditions bring floods due solely to deforestation. I have done several flights over Brazil & seen for myself. I believe our reliance on meat will have to end .
Absolutely right. For a while (nearly two years) I was working in 'orrible Brasil travelling back to the UK every third week and it was dreadful seeing the rain forest being burned.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:50 AM

Your Disagreement has been noted Ripple, and thank you for picking up the batten for the tree huggers.... You say you have flown over Brazil several times.....Isn't that a contradiction....Are you not part of the problem Ripple?

People swarm together, fly over any city and I agree they look overpopulated, but consider the 5,000 miles over empty ocean you flew, and then the thousand or so empty miles across Brazil....71% of the earth's surface is covered by oceans, of the remaining 29% - 27% is mountains, bogs, forests, deserts or other unsuitable terrain. We (Humans) occupy 2% of the earth's surface.....And probably not even that due to the compact nature of our town and cities.

Let's look at what the problem really is:-
I was born in 1950 so I will use the fifties as my datum point.....
Consider the things you find essential now with the things from the fifties.

2021.....A motor car....By far the biggest polluter and energy waster of most other things, they are now essential, sometimes families have several of these.
A TV, Computer or tablet, mobile phone, fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher, wardrobes full of clothes. Food that I had never heard of in the fifties where most people had a veg patch in their gardens, now they are all block paved over....A house to call your own....Only the Doctor and other officials could afford their own homes in the fifties. And holidays in Brazil, Spain, Greece or other exotic places.

That's yer problem Ripple, not overpopulation, we have all become too expensive for the planet to sustain us.

A 1950's South Yorkshire pit village....A council house with a coal fire, a valve radio on a shelf in the living room, a pantry with a cold cement slab for perishables, a bath once per week. And a vegetable patch in the back garden, most people knew how to grow seasonal veg, and holidayed by train to Bridlington, if you were lucky.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Absolutely right. For a while (nearly two years) I was working in 'orrible Brasil travelling back to the UK every third week and it was dreadful seeing the rain forest being burned.
Nobody except the rich could fly to Brazil in the fifties....You are also part of the problem Todger, so no point in taking the high moral ground...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-05-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Are you SERIOUS? There are more unmistakable indications of overpopulation ranging from water shortages, devastating overfishing and consequential collapse of fish stocks, destructive agriculture practices, global climate change as a result of anthropogenic pollution, food supply collapse and so much more.
Right here in the UK agricultural practices are wreaking havoc for example movement to monoculture, use of highly toxic chemicals on farms that are shattering the food chain which is why there are collapsing populations of everything from birds to bees because of the lack of the things they eat or simply being poisoned.
So getting out more simply underlines what is taking place world wide.
Where did you read all this Todger, on the BBC....

One of the things that has changed since the fifties is: The river Don now supports fish, it was just a mass of chemicals in the fifties, and we don't suffer the choking smogs anymore.
Have you actually ever stepped out of your door and looked at nature Todger? Or are you just quoting David Attenborough and that annoying Greta...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pixie along with Crickets and other protein rich goodies.

They are being 'farmed' here as farmers diversify, I have seen them on Countryfile.
My only real food failure occurred when I bought a packet of fried Grasshoppers and a packet of fried Cockroaches from a road side stall in Cambodia.

I really tried but I just could not put them in my mouth, I just overthought it.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My only real food failure occurred when I bought a packet of fried Grasshoppers and a packet of fried Cockroaches from a road side stall in Cambodia.

I really tried but I just could not put them in my mouth, I just overthought it.
Yeah, street food is quite....erm...interesting! In China they eat all sorts of things, no holds barred. I couldn't eat cockroach though, bogging little things they are, Yuck!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-05-2021, 11:28 AM

Nobody except the rich could fly to Brazil in the fifties....You are also part of the problem Todger, so no point in taking the high moral ground...
I was employed in Brasil. It certainly was not pleasure trips, indeed there is NOTHING pleasurable about Brasil with the possible exception of a visit to the Pantanal during the wet season, a thing that few people do and I only did as part of my work. In any case this was not in the fifties, it was in the late nineties.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top