Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Re: Fuel Strike.

Sainsbury's bumped the price of a litre up by 1p today - it's now £1.40 a litre.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
I heard something on the radio today. The UK figures for trade were up by 1 point something % in the last month due to the fuel sales rocketing. Makes you wonder if someone in the government made that comment about stocking up on purpose to massage some figures.
It certainly does Paul! now it might be a good idea for the motorist to really cutback on buying the stuff, the price is getting ridiculous.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2012, 06:59 PM

i read somewhere that fuel is going to come down in price by 5p per litre and I wonder if it will be pre fuel scare price or the price we have to pay now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2012, 10:46 AM

This is the latest, Monday first thing.

Tanker dispute talks to resume after deal snubbed The union would have to give seven days' notice of strike action Continue reading the main story

Attempts to avert a strike by fuel tanker drivers will resume at the conciliation service, Acas, later.

Union Unite rejected a proposed deal last week, after six days of talks - however, both sides say progress has been made on issues including pensions, health and safety and training.

The union has until Tuesday to make a decision about calling strike action.

It has appealed to people not to buy or hoard petrol in a panic, insisting it will not "rush into" calling a strike.

'Great foundations'

The talks will involve Hoyer, despite a hiccup which forced Unite to re-ballot its members at the firm after it discovered a number of its members had not received ballot papers last month.

Nick Dennis, a tanker driver who represents the North East of England for Unite, says the union is positive about the discussions.

He told the BBC: "We understand as a union, this is our last chance to build stable industry, a great industry with our employers as well, to go forward with.

"So it's key that we get all the foundations in place. We have built some great foundations in the document we've done, but it just doesn't go far enough to give us what we require."

Mr Dennis said: "If I need to be down there all week in negotiations to come with a document that will satisfy our membership, across the board, then I will spend all week doing that. Because we're not going to rush into this and call strike action."

James Hookham, managing director of the Freight Transport Association, which represents the employers, said: "We're within 100 days of the Olympics and we really have got more important things to worry about and things we need to get right in the logistics industry than worrying whether we're going to be able to get fuel or not.

"The basic requirements for a tanker driver are laid down in law so there's no question that currently tanker drivers are not safe or not meeting the mandatory standards. These are other issues around equipment and the length of time it takes to instruct a tanker driver. And it's those sort of things that can be the basis of an agreement and include the kind of issues and protections that perhaps the drivers are looking for.

"But I think both sides now are very focused that they need to get this sorted out."

After the dispute flared up last month the government advised motorists to top up their tanks with petrol and store fuel in jerry cans, actions which were blamed for panic buying and some petrol stations temporarily running out of fuel.

Prime Minister David Cameron admitted the tanker dispute had been part of a "difficult month" for the government.

Asked about the jerrycan confusion, Mr Cameron told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I accept that we need to learn lessons in terms of communications around the fuel strike."

But he said: "What matters with the fuel strike is that the government is taking the long-term decisions to make us a more resilient country against potential strikes. We inherited a position where the military could provide 10% of the country's fuel supplies... but we now have the ability of providing 50 or 60%, perhaps more, of the nation's fuel supplies because we have taken the right tough, long-term difficult decisions to get the military more involved."

"I want us to raise our game and do better, but the vision and the long term is what matters," said Mr Cameron.

'Fresh mandate'

Hoyer delivers fuel to Esso and Shell garages and has 530 drivers represented by Unite.

The Hoyer workers voted 59.7% in favour of strikes in a turnout of 80% in the previous ballot but will now vote again later this week.

Unite assistant general secretary Diana Holland said: "We remain committed to reaching a negotiated settlement with Hoyer and the other employers that brings stability and security to the supply of a vital commodity.

"It has come to our attention that a number of people did not receive ballot papers. This is a concern because we believe that everyone should have a say.

"We will be seeking a fresh mandate from our members in Hoyer who like all tanker drivers face a race to the bottom in an increasingly fragmented industry."

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top