Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Re: Buy your council house

I think you may be overlooking the fact that some people have so little money that paying even a low rent may be a struggle, let alone save for a deposit on a house.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Absolutely Mall, it was years before we managed to save a deposit, 10years in fact.
It would have been nice if all the rent we had paid would have been into our own home, and that was back in the 60's.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Back in 1983 my husband had just come out of the Army and we came to live here with mum, with a view to buying our own home nearby.

Mum lived here alone at that time, but she was terrified that the Council would make her move somewhere else because of the size of the house (three double bedrooms). The family of five had moved here in 1966 so she had her friends around her and she was well settled.

At that time, Council houses were being sold and we decided to buy, on mum's behalf and we were lucky enough to get a 100% mortgage. We had the deeds drawn up in her name, and mine and my husband's, in order that mum wouldn't have anything to worry about.

In a way I'm glad we did buy it but, once you buy, you have all the upkeep to pay for such as guttering, central heating installations, roofing, plumbing, et al.

Now there's just me rattling around in the house, but at least nobody can make me move, as I'd hate that. I made the final payment in July last year, which was a struggle on my own, but I managed it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
This may sound harsh and controversial, but I am really against social housing stock being sold off to tennants at discounted and advantageous prices. This housing has been built at a cost to the council and has already been subsidised (i.e. at rents less than would be paid in the open market for private rented housing). The properties have also been maintained by the council at public expense.
People generally only want to buy the more attracive properties and councils are left with the housing that few people wish to live in and this is where areas become undesirable, difficult and "problem" areas. People in privately rented accommodation do not expect their landlords to sell them a property at a discounted or subsidised rate, so why expect councils to do it.
In an ideal situation I would be happy to see less social housing. Build or maintain what is necessary to a reasonable standard and rent it to the people who actually need it - possibly means test. Tennancies should not be for life and the accommodation should fit the number of people living there. Periodically tennancies should be reviewed. If tennants no longer need the space they should be required to move to smaller housing. Also if financial cirumstances have improved then the rent should reflect that charged for private rentals. Better still tennants should be required to move out and buy their own housing.

I am in total agreement with you Rena.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 08:51 AM

People who live in rented accommodation usually do so because they cannot afford to buy. More and more people are renting because they cannot afford to get a foot on the property ladder.
More and more people are going to need cheaper rented accommodation and the private sector tend not to provide it.
We need more social housing not less.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Mesco m says "more and more people are going to need cheaper ented accommodation......."

I would ask where will the money come from to provide this social housing? Where is the philanthropic benefactor who will build and maintain it to rent out at less than a market rent and also be prepared to sell it off at a heavy discount? People can and frequently do object to folks on benefits, saying it is not fair to those who have worked all their lives and pay taxes. Why is subsidising rents and then selling property off at a discount any different - it is a benefit and hasn't been earned by the beneficiary?
mesco m
manchester

06-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Council houses were built to give people who could not afford to buy a house, decent living accommodation at affordable rents.
A good portion of the population live in council owned property a portion of who are on benefits through no fault of their own.
The media are more and more demonising those who claim benefits, while more and more people are loosing both jobs and homes, through no fault of their own.
I am not in favour of the sale of council homes for those very reasons.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Council houses were built firstly in the late 1800 and went on to around 1950's, they were built for the working class to provide homes at a reasonable affordable rent, obviously peaking just after the war to help those bombed out.
It was the Thatcher government who pushed a lot into the benefits system, with high unemployment.
This government is going the same way.
Just because people work doesn't mean they can afford to buy a house, often folks are just above the minimum wage, that is why you have unions, which I am glad to say membership is beginning to rise.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 01:08 AM

I have to say here that by being able to purchase our first (council) house back in the 70's, I wouldn't be where I am today - a property owner.

I would have thought that by selling some of the council houses, the money made from that helps to build more council houses, as and when required?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
I have to say here that by being able to purchase our first (council) house back in the 70's, I wouldn't be where I am today - a property owner.

I would have thought that by selling some of the council houses, the money made from that helps to build more council houses, as and when required?

Very true, but many Councils squirreled the monies they received in high-yield risky investment banks and then lost the lot when the banks collapsed several years ago.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top