Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 01:20 AM

Re: Tobacco displays illegal in England

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Driving things underground is, in my opinion, not the answer, it will make it all the more attractive to the rebellious young ones.
It won't be long before they do the same with alcohol.
Totally agree - as is the case with drugs.

I grew up surrounded by smokers and it did me no harm - I hated the fact that Mum & Dad smoked and yes, I did take it up but only because of peer pressure at school. I have now been a non-smoker for almost 3 years now.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 01:27 AM

no not here thy have been coverd for a few years
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 08:09 AM

They have just put sliding doors on the display area in my local shop. The thing that worries me is, I usually look at the display whilst in the queue to remind me what to ask for. I'm worried I may forget what they are called one day and look like a complete doddering old fool.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 08:59 AM

It still won't stop people buying cigarettes. I used to smoke 60-70 per day and I was never ill. When I stopped (due to the fact they became too expensive for me to continue), I took more colds and chest infections!! I don't mind people smoking at all. Smoking didn't kill my father, who smoked all his life, nor my brother either!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I'm so sorry, but the rubbish that the government kicks around about passive smoking is so wrong. It's a scaremongering tactic to frighten people by brainwashing. There is no proof that passive smoking is dangerous. None at all. The danger is what is inhaled into the lungs, not in the exhalation.
Sorry Mollie but those statements are simply not true.
It is true to say that the passive smoker only inhales about 1% of the smoke exhaled by a smoker but that is a mixture of the secondhand and of the burning cigarette smoke.

There is also irrefutable proof - if one cares enough to look -that secondhand smokers have a 30% increased risk of contracting lung cancer and coronary heart disease than for those who are not exposed to secondhand smoke. It is also well documented that the likelyhood of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), is also greatly increased.

As well as making blood platelets much more stickier and reducing HDL cholesterol levels, it increases LDL cholesterol levels, and insulin resistance.That cannot be good for anyone.

This information can easily be found, interestingly via various publications from The World Health Organization (WHO) and not government propaganda.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 02:01 PM

It's a fact that smoking is a killer and everyone knows it, but OK some get away with it longer than others. I smoked two packs a day for most of my working life but knew it would kill me if I didn't stop, which I eventually managed to do three years ago and I have never felt better.

Having said that, I am not anti smoking as such, as I agree it should be a personal choice to do it or not, but I do feel that it should be discouraged as much as possible, particularly amongst the young. The trouble is of course that the more you tell the kids something is bad for them the more they will do it just to spite you, and I remember doing that myself very well....
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Hiding cigarettes behind a shutter won't stop or deter people from smoking.
I know from my smoking days if I wanted a packet of cigarettes I would buy them whether or not they were on display. I have always hated smoking in the home though and would never have dreamed of smoking near babies, children or anyone that didn't smoke.
I was sickened a a few weeks ago when I saw a mother puffing smoke into a buggy as she attended to her small child!
Sadly I see a lot of that near me and it also sickens me too.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

07-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Just because some people don't appear to suffer the bad effects from smoking doesn't mean it is safe to smoke. The statistics prove smoking is a major cause death and disease.

My son-in-law's parents smoked around him when he was young and were mortified to discover it was the probable cause of his chest infections. They both gave it up immediately and he was soon in much better health.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 07:38 PM

If anyone believes passive smoking is harmless they should read one of the latest studies. This is an extract of a 2010 global study done on passive smoking.

I remember Roy Castle died of lung cancer. He was a non-smoker, but spent years of his career playing in smokey jazz clubs. He was convinced that was where his disease came from and set up a charitable foundation to try to educate and help people.

Passive smoking 'global threat'

The first global study into the effects of passive smoking has estimated it causes 600,000 deaths every year.

One-third of those killed are children, often exposed to smoke at home, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggested.

The November 2010 study, in 192 countries, concluded passive smoking is particularly dangerous for children, who are said to be at higher risk of sudden infant death syndrome, pneumonia and asthma.

Passive smoking has been linked to heart disease, respiratory illness and lung cancer.

"This helps us understand the real toll of tobacco," said Armando Peruga, of the WHO's Tobacco-Free Initiative, who led the study.

'Deadly combination'

It used estimates of the incidence of specific diseases and of the number of people exposed to second-hand smoke in particular areas.

The global health body said it was particularly concerned about the estimated 165,000 children who die of smoke-related respiratory infections, mostly in South East Asia and in Africa.

It said that this group was more exposed to passive smoking than any other group, principally in their own homes.

"The mix of infectious diseases and second-hand smoke is a deadly combination," Mr Peruga said.

As well as being at increased risk of a series of respiratory conditions, the lungs of children who breathe in passive smoke may also develop more slowly than children who grow up in smoke-free homes.

Worldwide, as many as 40% of children, 33% of non-smoking men and 35% non-smoking women were exposed to second-hand smoke in 2004, researchers found.

This exposure was estimated to have caused 379,000 deaths from heart disease, 165,000 from lower respiratory infections, 36,900 from asthma and 21,400 from lung cancer.

According to the study, the highest numbers of people exposed to second-hand smoke are in Europe and Asia and the lowest rates of exposure were in the Americas, the Eastern Mediterranean and Africa.

The research also revealed that passive smoking had a large impact on women, killing about 281,000 worldwide. This is due to the fact that in many parts of the world, the study suggests, women are at least 50% more likely to be exposed to second-hand smoke than men.

However, the researchers said were limitations to the study, including uncertainties about the underlying health data and gaps in the data relating to exposure to second-hand smoke.

Writing in the Lancet, Dr Heather Wipfli of the University of Southern California and colleagues, said: "There are well acknowledged uncertainties in estimates of disease burden.

"However, there can be no question that the 1.2bn smokers in the world are exposing billions of non-smokers to second-hand smoke, a disease-causing indoor air pollutant."
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 01:15 AM

thats right hidding themis a waste of time they no there there

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top