Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Re: Bank Holidays to costly for our country!

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
I really used to love bank holidays and it was great knowing that over the summer period there were lots of them. It was something to look forward to. Now that I'm self employed its rare I get them off, I worked all day on Good Friday and most of today

Isn't there an extra one this year in June??
Yes, there is Marian - the late May bank holiday has been moved to Monday 4 June 2012 and an additional Jubilee bank holiday will take place on Tuesday 5 June 2012.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 10:13 PM

I really used to love bank holidays and it was great knowing that over the summer period there were lots of them. It was something to look forward to. Now that I'm self employed its rare I get them off, I worked all day on Good Friday and most of today

Isn't there an extra one this year in June??
Queens Jubilee tacked on to Spring BH 4/5th June
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Yep, and sorry to say it but I hate bank holidays and weekends, always have done, its as though the world has stopped turning.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks Mags and Hazel, I didn't realise they were moving the end of May one
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Yep, and sorry to say it but I hate bank holidays and weekends, always have done, its as though the world has stopped turning.
We're going away for 4 wks but not looking forward to BH wkend, not had one away for a few yrs now.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Thanks Mags and Hazel, I didn't realise they were moving the end of May one
S'alright I hadn't realised it was the end of May one till I saw it on calender.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I have to say I have very mixed feelings here. I used to love Bank Holidays when my partner was still alive but now, because I spend them totally alone, I'd rather be working. Same with weekends.

On the other hand, I do enjoy a mini-break from work and I can say with hand on heart that there's no way I could work full time now, even if I wanted to as it's just very tiring these days, but I wouldn't stop working altogether, at least not until I'm in me coffin, then I just might have to.

If I phone in sick, it's because I'm not well. I don't get paid for unplanned days off and that's always been the case with the company I've worked for, for almost 29 years, so I'm used to that and, as nobody else does my job when I'm off, I'm loathe to take a week's holiday because I've got a pile waiting for me on my return.

I guess that's slightly off topic, but that's my personal situation. For retired folk, every day is the same but, if you're working, you do need those little breaks every now and again.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 01:26 AM

I love bank holidays, when i don't have to work, we always try to do something as a family as long as the weather is nice.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

I guess that's slightly off topic, but that's my personal situation. For retired folk, every day is the same but, if you're working, you do need those little breaks every now and again.

You have to be joking, every day the same, whoever told you that must have a very dull life.

There are not enough hours in the day for us to enjoy and since we have joined the National Trust again I suspect it will get more intense.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

10-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
You have to be joking, every day the same, whoever told you that must have a very dull life.

There are not enough hours in the day for us to enjoy and since we have joined the National Trust again I suspect it will get more intense.
it all depends on personal circumstances health, wealth, company. I lead a very dull life in winter it's different in summer though and I count my self lucky, then I can make the memories to take me through winter. ooh for warmer weather.Roll on tomorrow off on hols 2 old dears and a dog for 4 wks of laughter and fun. There'll be a BH in the middle of that, first one I've spent away from home for years.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top