Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Re: Bank Holidays to costly for our country!

We get the fewest bank holidays of anyone in Europe. We should get more not less, they are very important for those of who are still working. Obviously if you are retired they are not important as every day is a holiday if you like. This forum has more retired members than working members so they will naturally have a different point of view.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
We get the fewest bank holidays of anyone in Europe. We should get more not less, they are very important for those of who are still working. Obviously if you are retired they are not important as every day is a holiday if you like. This forum has more retired members than working members so they will naturally have a different point of view.
I actually hated Bank Holidays more when I worked In the kind of jobs I had I worked some if not all bank holidays and felt I was missing out when a lot of the country was not working and I was .
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Well, there's some cheerfull people on here, how can you not like bank holidays, a day off with pay and you moan about it. You would complain if you were young and just starting your working life. how would you like working till your seventy and no bank holidays?.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Well, there's some cheerfull people on here, how can you not like bank holidays, a day off with pay and you moan about it. You would complain if you were young and just starting your working life. how would you like working till your seventy and no bank holidays?.
Well said Jimmy. Yes the roads are a pain but its nice just to have some extra time off work to get stuff done round the house and garden. Bring them on as many as possible
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Well, there's some cheerfull people on here, how can you not like bank holidays, a day off with pay and you moan about it. ]You would complain if you were young and just starting your working life. how would you like working till your seventy and no bank holidays?.
I have pretty much I started my working life with half a day off a week and a whole day once a month working 12 hours a day for £1 a week and my 'keep' which was a shared bedroom and a diet consisting mainly of potatoes and marrow. And no bank holidays not even Christmas day .
In subsequent jobs I worked bank holidays. When I married I ran a business and worked bank holidays then I was widowed at an early age and it was back to jobs where I worked bank holidays.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Well said Jimmy. Yes the roads are a pain but its nice just to have some extra time off work to get stuff done round the house and garden. Bring them on as many as possible
what about the people who weren't off Garden Centres, DIY Outlets, shops , all open staff working whether they wanted to or not.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 03:27 PM

That is because they allowed Sunday opening hours Hazel, it was the thin edge of the wedge.
Bank holidays didn't come fast enough for me when I was working, If I did work a bank holiday I got double pay and a day in lieu.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 06:34 PM

I don't like the busy roads and crowds, but bank holidays are essential to the industries that rely on them.
I can recall years ago I worked most bank holidays looking after industries that just needed the odd day to get essential maintenance work done.
I had a business for the last 20 years of my working life, and I looked forward to having the shop shut for a break.
So yes there is obviously a fore and against for bank holidays, so let them be.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 09:04 PM

I hated being forced to have a holiday when I worked for large company's so when I had my own business I gave the employees the choice of working or having a holiday, not one of them had the day off.

Bank holidays in my opinion are for the idle British type of shirker.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I hated being forced to have a holiday when I worked for large company's so when I had my own business I gave the employees the choice of working or having a holiday, not one of them had the day off.

Bank holidays in my opinion are for the idle British type of shirker.
Ah but did you pay them extra with a day off in luie (excuse spelling) cos then they could take it when prices were cheaper too or just double time, cos some would prefer money.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top