Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Panorama

I have purposely not put this in the Film, TV and Books section for reasons that should be obvious.

If ever there was an example of the need to speak out for once, last nights Panorama TV program was it.

There in graphic detail was an example of the most shocking abuse of an elderly care home resident who, already living with dementia was treated with callous disregard by several of the 'staff'. Not only did they throw this poor 80 year old lady around like an old rag doll one inhumane piece of scum gave her a beating for good measure.

Solely by the daughters efforts this monster was at least jailed although the sentence was miniscule. There was talk of him being deported back to the Philipines but given he had what looked like a family, I very much doubt that will happen and I am sure the human rights card will be played to its full extent.

Once again this programme highlighted the total failure and inadequacy of The Care Quality Commission. They are indeed not fit for any purpose and should be disbanded forthwith.

There must be many, many older people in this country today that are susceptible to this kind of barbarism and general mistreatment of all kinds. These poor souls need all the support we can give them. It is essential that they have access to a truly independent and powerful body with clout to speak up and act for them and their families.

The present system is broken but it would be beneath contempt for any political party to seek to score cheap points by putting the blame on other governments. Cross party action is required now and it is up to everyone of us to make sure our elected leaders know this.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Re: Panorama

I saw the programme Hammer and I truly believe that this is an inevitable consequence when the health and social care of our most vulnerable folk is farmed out into the private sector where every bit of care is costed to the nth degree and only undertaken if there is a profit in it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I agree with all you say Hammer.
I also think Aerolor has a good point, when private companies take over standards drop and I'm afraid it's profit before People.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-04-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I saw the programme Hammer and I truly believe that this is an inevitable consequence when the health and social care of our most vulnerable folk is farmed out into the private sector where every bit of care is costed to the nth degree and only undertaken if there is a profit in it.
I understand what you are saying Rena and if it is as inevitable as you say then it is one hell of an indictment on our so called civilised society. In any event it does not have to be like this.

That said I cannot see where respect and proper patient care costs any more than employing beasts to slap the crap out of the defenceless.
People are employed specifically to ensure this bullying does not happen and they fail at every juncture.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 12:22 AM

I didn't see the programme, but sadly the abuse of the elderly is not confined to nursing and care homes, but they can also be victims of domestic abuse which, if it's at all possible, is worse. I can't think of a suitable adjective to describe how awful this is. Disgusting and deplorable just don't cover it.

Fairly recently, a carer was arrested in my local area for abusing an elderly patient. It's so sickening.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 12:23 AM

my monther in law was just taken to a nursing home 24 hour care
shes not expented to last verry long they turn her over every 2 hours my daughter works in a nursing home here
we have herd of bad nursing homes but iam shure theres more good than bad ones
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 12:54 AM

I'm sure you're right, Pixie. It's the bad ones that get the publicity though.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 03:40 AM

I call there every day and ask lots of things there always helpfull
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 06:50 AM

Appalling abuse of a vulnerable old lady, they should have been horsewhipped.
There should now be a bill to make sure CCTV cameras are put in every one of the old folks rooms in care homes now, it is not that expensive these days.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Not too sure about the cameras in bedrooms. I think these vulnerable people have little enough privacy and dignity as it is.
Maybe a little more vigilance by other members of staff and family may go some way to weeding out the evil ones. I would not hesitate for one moment to report a colleague who I knew was abusing some one.
These people are the worst kind of coward imaginable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top