Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Re: Olympic security includes surface-to-air missiles

I think the Olympics are a complete waste of money, which the UK can't afford to spend in a recession. Added the to that security implications, we really need the games like a hole in the head!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 09:27 AM

I tend to agree with you Willow - The benefits and spn offs from having the games is not even being equitably shared out even though the whole country is paying for them at a time when we can ill affor to do. It is London who will see any gain. When other sporting events (like the World student games) are held the host city is rquired to foot the bill and is often in debt for years after.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 09:47 AM

I am sure that there are other things in place that we do not know about. But a what was reported on friday of missiles on top of a apartment block. Brings it home to you how frightening all of this is.
Having the olympics here is good news for the economy but at what cost.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 10:19 AM

My friend's son works for the company (or one of the companies) dealing with the security for the games. He jets off to New York every 4/5 weeks, first class, a couple of short meetings whilst there and then wined, dined, taken to shows, baseball games etc for the rest of the time. Obviously money is no object to the company he works for. He works from home, an apartment on Canary Wharf, very high tec computers etc, all paid for by the company, video conferencing etc. He's doing very well indeed thanks to the Olympic games.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

30-04-2012, 11:49 AM

I believe no country which has hosted the games has ever made a profit out of them!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I believe no country which has hosted the games has ever made a profit out of them!
But what about all the building works, advertising, hospitality, rents for apartments, hotels, employment it brings, etc.etc., the list is long. Profits are made by the providers of these things. Tenders went out for many things. The buildings that remain become assets to be used for the future of the city. Thats profit or a gain made, surely. Plus there is also the prestige of hosting the event, which indirectly affects how well the city is seen to be doing in the eyes of the rest of the country and internationally.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 01:48 PM

That is very true and I wish we had never put in for them because the country cannot afford it. Re the security risk London is permanently on high alert and the games will only make that worse. Personally I am dreading it as I have to work in London and can't wait for it to all be over
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 03:42 PM

The first time I apreciate living up here in the North, I wouldnt go to the games for a Gold clock.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Further reading on that note: "The Italian government has officially removed the city of Rome’s bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, citing economic instability in the country and the mounting costs of hosting the games..." Estimated cost for Rome to host the games would be 12.5 billion.

The article talks about the impact on other cities that have hosted in the past. It took 3 decades to pay off the debt for the 1976 Summer Olympics in Quebec.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2012, 01:15 AM

Unfortunately, in this day and age, profit should not come before security, although I do appreciate what has been already said.

I don't know who's in charge of the security of the games, but I wouldn't have that job for a gold pig.

It is indeed a major target area with so many different nations taking part, but we have to be realistic. If something is going to happen, it will, despite all the security measures. That's not being alarmist, but realistic.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top