Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Re: Free travel.

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I won't get mine until I'm 65 but I think they should be kept. Its part of what we have been paying taxes for all those years and is invaluable for those who don't drive or who choose to gve up after a certain age when they don't feel able to any more. If you remove bus passes you may find there are a lot more doddery drivers on the roads who are a danger to themselves and other road users.
Doddery drivers love it.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

17-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I won't get mine until I'm 65 but I think they should be kept. Its part of what we have been paying taxes for all those years and is invaluable for those who don't drive or who choose to gve up after a certain age when they don't feel able to any more. If you remove bus passes you may find there are a lot more doddery drivers on the roads who are a danger to themselves and other road users.
Good point.

Mother is 88 and it is only in the last couple months her doctor has seen fit to take the flipping woman off the road! Her licence should have been removed years ago.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 02:18 PM

I use mine quite frequently even though I do have a car. I did think when the scheme was first floated, that it would become unsustainable when the country became cash stapped as it is now. Obviously it was an election ploy, particularly when it was extended nationwide instead of being only in your own immediate county.Bus companies here in Lincolnshire have cut some services in protest at the reduced grant received from local authorities. Plus the rising cost of fuel has played a part. I think any changes would have to be minimal, perhaps a small charge per journey.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 02:19 PM

I think many think of it as loss of their independance. My mother gave up driving when she was 80, my dad had given up years previously. It did present a few problems for shopping etc as they lived in a village and never gave it a thought when they bought the house that they wouldn't be driving. They both lived well into their 90s. Its taught me something though to the extent that when I buy my final house for retirement I won't be buying in an isolated place with no public transport
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 02:45 PM

It would be the ruination of the government that did stop the bus passes for OAP's.
Look there are buses running half empty when we have bus passes, and there are millions of bus passes out there, over half of these are not used, most OAP's use their bus pass once a week.
I know bus companies would go bust if they stopped them, it just wouldn't be profitable to run empty buses.
I can see thousands of more cars on the roads, they reckon for every full bus there are 25 cars less on our roads, just imagine the chaos and the damage to the economy.
Our bus company as just bought 100 new buses, just imagine that being removed out of the economy, thousands out of work and less fuel used by bus companies, the whole stupid idea would be counter productive, and they would lose a fortune in tax.
I think this is the Daily Wail stirring it up and nothing else.
Take drivers off the road when they have reached 70 that will make our roads safer and less chaotic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 03:20 PM

I don't have a bus pass because we don't have any busses were I live . I would have to walk or drive 2 miles in order to use it.

Strangely we do have a bus shelter I guess it is a relic from the past when they used to have buses .
dabby
uk
dabby is male  dabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 05:07 PM

[/url]
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Don't use buses, so when the time comes i doubt if i will bother myself, but a am sure a lot of people would not get out much without free travel and its something that should stay.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Yes sorry Barry but I say keep bus passes for people who dont drive and dont have a car. They should be joined up with the DVLA and check if people have cars. We have at the moment and as we live in the back of beyond we would need to have a bus pass to live.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
They should be joined up with the DVLA and check if people have cars. .
We have a car but I certainly dont want to have to ask Hubby to take me to town everytime I wanted to go. Plus he's not very often home so I would be stuck at home when he is out & thats the times that I do usually go out myself - maybe a train ride to Liverpool or just jump on a bus & go somewhere different

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top