Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Re: absolutely fuming

I know qualified tradesmen who do not get anything like 18 pounds an hour.

Most people in the north west, are losing jobs every week. Factory and office jobs are being lost all the time.
In my street alone, in the last year, 5 men have been made redundant from very good jobs, they have had for over 30 years. They are now in their 50 and have been put on the scrap heap. They would gladly do any job, but are told they are over qualified, not enough experience, and these are job on minimum wage.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Here we go again ...as i said earlier my wife has secured 2 part time jobs ...we told the Job centre and we got punished for our honesty...they intermediately stopped MY job seekers benefit till it had been revised ( a 31 page form).....i should have got a payment today ...i got nothing ....also my wife even though she is working does not get ANY wages next FRIDAY OK i can survive but it is the principal which takes the "p"
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
£18 an hour is hardly a lot of money!
:
We can say just about anything we wish, hiding behind a keyboard
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2012, 07:29 AM

You definately can not be for real.

£1/hour is alot when you have nothing.

Oh! but I forget you are just trying to cause upset.

£18/hour is 50% over the average wage for this country.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

26-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Well some might consider you very fortunate Willow - it's hard for a lot of folks out there without a safety net.
My husband worked his socks off for every penny we have, he left for work in the morning at 7.30pm and on a good day would maybe arrive home by 7.30pm, often much later. The only day he didn't do any form of work was on Christmas day, he even took work on holiday with him!
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2012, 09:25 AM

I started this thread and i am very surprised of the interest it has generated...i am a bit new here and still finding my way about including the "quote" function ..I have tried not to critisise as i don't know people very well aand everyone is entitled to their views but there are a few comments on here which i think were a bit negative ...so here goes....with regard to MY position ...I would really love to earn £18 an hour and to me it is a lot of money even when i was working i was NO where near that kind of money ..but i was content and paid my way....second sorry, if i offend but if someone has never worked and been supported all their lives how are THEY qualified to make those comments value of money is relative to what you have if you have nothing £1 pound is a fortune if you are a millionaire £1000 is pocket money ....and finally by taking a low paid job can do more damage than not working at all...I know it sounds stupid but until my wife got her 2 part time jobs I couldn't afford to work for basic wage .....Ps i have applied for 10 jobs in the last 4 days ....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

26-05-2012, 09:29 AM

OK so £18 an hour is a lot of money to some people, it isn't to me and mine. That isn't a boast, just a fact. Our money has been hard worked for. Those who moan about their lack of dosh might not be prepared to put in the long hours worked by my family.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

26-05-2012, 09:59 AM

As I said the value of money is relative...I am not Boasting but stating facts I also have worked my butt off over the last 40+ years maybe i didn't get the same breaks as some or cocked up some opportunities but i made the most of it and I put in the Hours and commitment...I would still be slogging away if i could , I worked for 30+ years with the public and I can read people like a book (that is a boast) I have seen all the ways of life and how people live and how they have got there but in all those years i have never been jealous only encouraged to earn my own ..I know the value of money If i worked for a OAP who gave me a £1 i appreciated it more than than when worked in a millionaires house and he gave me a £40 tip these are facts as i have had both happen ...
I spend hours on my laptop scouring the Job pages looking for suitable employment in fact i am now looking for unsuitable employment.....just remember what has happened to myself and 1000's of others can happen to anyone and the higher up the social ladder you climb the further you can fall..
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2012, 10:03 AM

OK so £18 an hour is a lot of money to some people, it isn't to me and mine. That isn't a boast, just a fact. Our money has been hard worked for. I those who moan about their lack of dosh wouldn't be prepared to put in the long hours worked by my family.

Willow my dear £18 an hour sure is a lot of dosh to me and lots of folk....................I have been retired a long time now and I dont think I ever got more then £5 an hour
I would add that I have never been unemployed
Yes you sure are one lucky lady.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2012, 10:25 AM

My husband worked his socks off for every penny we have, he left for work in the morning at 7.30pm and on a good day would maybe arrive home by 7.30pm, often much later. The only day he didn't do any form of work was on Christmas day, he even took work on holiday with him!
Not much unusual in one partner working long hours to support a family. My husband put in very long hours - frequently working 7 days a week.
What I was saying was that your husband would have been your safety net and he made it possible for you not to go outside the home to work and help earn a living.
I will say no more, because if you are the poster who was on here sometime ago (and I am more and more convinced you are) I understand there may be reasons why you did not go out to work. However, I believe it does mean that you don't have much personal experience of the working world - if you had you would not make such careless and lofty comments like £18 per hour is not much.......

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top