Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 10:24 PM

Re: Changing careers at the age of 50

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why, domestically we will be down to 1.7 kids, so, who will need housing.
Those currently living in sheds?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 10:27 PM

Sorry, no response to an offline person.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Hi, Geek84. You are obviously good with numbers and detail oriented, so have you considered financial forensics? I have a banking friend who says there is and will continue to be a growing demand for people who can investigate stolen funds, credit card fraud, hacking, etc. Might be worth considering.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 04:37 AM

The biggest problem is wanting (or being able) to re-train for another job when we turn 50+. It's like going back to school and not everyone still has the memory capacity and attention span to begin again with all the new learning. I know I would find it difficult, depending on the type of career it is.

Geek24, there must be work out there and I do wonder about this myself as my own situation of being stuck in a night shift environment is literally now driving me mad. Come the Autumn I'll be making enquries myself as to see what I can do as a career change.

Good luck mate
geek84
New Member!
Wolverhampton, UK
geek84 is male 

29-05-2019, 05:41 PM

Hi Folks

Many thanks or your reply.

Financial forensics is something that sounds interesting, as Surfermom suggests.

However, I think she is based in the USA, whereas I'm in the UK, so not sure if that type of job is available around here !!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 06:11 PM

My strong advice is to go self employed. there are some strange jobs about if you look

Here is just one of them

https://www.spinaclean.com/business-opportunities

To give some idea, around here to clear out a roof gutter in a 4 bed house they charge around £80+ depending on house size obviously. Here nobody seems to have this area. one could easily do 4 houses a day.

I actually bought my own Skyvac because of what they charge

Another is oven cleaning, strange? yes but there is a huge call for in in private and commercial premises. Both little training and big rewards

One really has to think outside the box and not the usual gardening-dog walking- handman thing everyone goes for

I or should I say we did it and bought boarding kennels at my age of around 49, took EVR from BT.

Best move I ever made, own boss- tea breaks-own decisions, not some jumped up know-it-all, money into our pockets not a company bottomless pit- hard work - long hours but it paid off big time.

Because of going it self employed we could afford a beautiful 4 bed house and just check out the holidays we now have now we are retired.

You won't get that by working for some greedy company who treat you like a number and not a person

Yes of course it is a risk, but if you don't take them you won't get on in life. We nearly went under several times in the first 3/4 years but only made us more determined to succeed.
geek84
New Member!
Wolverhampton, UK
geek84 is male 

29-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Thanks for you suggestions.

The only problem is (as stated previously) that we are planning to move into a bigger property and mortgage lenders are reluctant to lend money to the self employed - they want to see at least 3 years of accounts.

If that was't an issue, then I would definitely go self employed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:02 AM

we actually took out a mortgage with a foreign bank in the end, we came across the same problem
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 07:08 AM

I would have thought, being in a redundant position would be a bigger problem mortgage application wise, than a short self employment history.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top