Join for free
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

@Judd,

We see it all the time.
It's amazing how many things get classed as a Cat1, when it should be a 2 or 3.
As you say, it's a way of getting more work which is not in effect actually required.
It's knowing who to trust, that's the issue.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
@Judd,

We see it all the time.
It's amazing how many things get classed as a Cat1, when it should be a 2 or 3.
As you say, it's a way of getting more work which is not in effect actually required.
It's knowing who to trust, that's the issue.
Of course, but how can you tell?

References are useful, but these are usually written by laymen who could well have been conned.

Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course, but how can you tell?

References are useful, but these are usually written by laymen who could well have been conned.

Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person.
You can't tell very easily mate, and that's always the problem.
I have people / subbies / companies I totally trust that I could put Linda in contact with, but the electrical company I use are in Staines!

They would probably go if needed, but due to the distance would cost a lot more than a local company.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 09:58 PM

"Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person."

You've got that right. A large firm may be registered with NICEIC, ECA or other organisation and their employees and subbies are automatically counted as being registered when in fact they could be incompetent. I've seen work carried out by NICEIC `electricians` that's downright dangerous.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

14-02-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
"Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person."

You've got that right. A large firm may be registered with NICEIC, ECA or other organisation and their employees and subbies are automatically counted as being registered when in fact they could be incompetent. I've seen work carried out by NICEIC `electricians` that's downright dangerous.
As have I.

If you say part wind / 3 phase / star delta / contactor / relay to some so called "electricians", they go blank and think you're talking a foreign language.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
As have I.

If you say part wind / 3 phase / star delta / contactor / relay to some so called "electricians", they go blank and think you're talking a foreign language.
Even I know what they mean (except for 'part wind') and I'm not qualified in any way!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

14-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Even I know what they mean (except for 'part wind') and I'm not qualified in any way!
I know mate.

It's an eye opener re some "pro's" out there!!

Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top