Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Lindyloo

I did 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician and have an ordinary national certificate (ONC), now not allowed as not up to latest IEE regs and retired anyway . I don't think JBR is actually qualified to give advice all be it well intentioned.

For the cost of getting an electrician in who anyway would have to pass your switch wiring under the law it is not worth attempting to do it yourself

Thae a trip to your local fire station and ask how many house fires are due to faulty electrical wiring
The electrical Regulations aren't a legal requirement (yet) and any competent person can undertake a simple task like this.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The electrical Regulations aren't a legal requirement (yet) and any competent person can undertake a simple task like this.
I do know this, and with all due respect to Lindyloo, it does not sound to me that she's a competent person.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 12:58 AM

http://www.electrical-testing.co.uk/...rt-p-affect-me

Certification by a registered third party
3.5 Before work begins, an installer who is not a registered competent person may appoint a registered third-party certifier (electrical contractor or electrician who is a registered member of a Part P registration body) to inspect and test the work as necessary.

Failure to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations is a criminal offence and could result in the order by the local authority to remove or put right faulty workmanship and fine you up to £5000.00. It could also make it difficult to sell your property in the future.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are a little out of date with your information Judd
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:30 AM

There seems to be a lot of arguing about this.

Let me assure you all that I am not a qualified electrician. However, I have changed switches and wall sockets many times when the situation is straightforward. I'm sure that many home owners do this to their own property and I cannot imagine that we are all breaking the law any more than if we had changed a plug. Don't tell me that changing a plug requires an electrician.

I'll say this again. If there is any doubt about complications I would advise Lindyloo to call in an electrician.

Is a qualified electrician necessary to pass my wiring if I change a switch, or a plug socket, like for like?

Is a qualified electrician necessary to pass my wiring if I change a plug?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
"Replacing a damaged accessory like for like e.g light switch, socket etc. anywhere including special locations – non-notifiable"
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 09:09 AM

The point is though, that it is very difficult to get "like for like" nowadays.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You are a little out of date with your information Judd
I would doubt that.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 10:22 AM

Lindyloo, it seems the general consensus on here is not to do it, I could do it as could several people on here , but I work with electricity and used to be an electrician, it all depends on how the switch was wired as there are several different ways to do it , it could be just a simple case of swapping 3 wires over ( plus linking the live to the common side of the other sw, I think you said it was a double sw) but as I said it depends on how it was wired in the first place, for what it would cost I would get a professional in for peace of mind, incidentally, you only have to get any new installation certified. ie installing a new socket that requires wiring, AFAIK you can change like for like so you can change a light sw or a socket that is already in place,
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

11-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Lindyloo, it seems the general consensus on here is not to do it, I could do it as could several people on here , but I work with electricity and used to be an electrician, it all depends on how the switch was wired as there are several different ways to do it , it could be just a simple case of swapping 3 wires over ( plus linking the live to the common side of the other sw, I think you said it was a double sw) but as I said it depends on how it was wired in the first place, for what it would cost I would get a professional in for peace of mind, incidentally, you only have to get any new installation certified. ie installing a new socket that requires wiring, AFAIK you can change like for like so you can change a light sw or a socket that is already in place,
You are correct, regulations are not to be applied retrospectively but some people still insist that they are.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top