Join for free
Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
It would have no effect on Vit D levels at this time of year.
Certainly much lesser impact than in summer I agree, but I would expect there would still be some goodness to be had.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So which ones were prescribed Julie? What's that main ingredient?

No one is diagnosing anything as far as I can tell.
Look for yourself I can't see the tiny writing on the pack I'm on tesco or numark or boots 1000 mg I think is the dose. I get then wherever they are cheapest at the time. Tesco often have a three for two offer and boots gives me club points.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Look for yourself I can't see the tiny writing on the pack I'm on tesco or numark or boots 1000 mg I think is the dose. I get then wherever they are cheapest at the time. Tesco often have a three for two offer and boots gives me club points.
Ok no problem. Do you know if they are Vit D or specifically Vit D3 (which Floydy mentioned earlier)
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

01-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Interestingly I read today that Vitamin D2 is bad for us and that there are numerous studies confirming this.

As others said early in this thread it is Vitamin D3 that we really need.

According to the studies Vitamin D2 actually reduces the levels of D3 in humans. Not a good thing !

The studies also say that D2 increases illness whereas D3 helps reduce it.

Vets apparently no longer give D2 to primates because it cause lots of issues and equally they don't gove D2 to mammals for the same reason.

Why then are humans being given D2?

I'm concerned because I've previously used ALPRO Almond Milk as a milk substitute and a long term food storage solution (it lasts for months without refridgeration).

Turns out that the Vitamin D in Alpro Almond Milk is D2 !

I have written to Alpro to see what they have to say and whether they are aware of the research on D2. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 04:44 PM

Certainly much lesser impact than in summer I agree, but I would expect there would still be some goodness to be had.
A recent report I saw said it didn't (for vit D).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

02-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
A recent report I saw said it didn't (for vit D).
I think Gravitas it depends how far you are from the equator and how high the sun rises in the day, which will vary all across the globe.

I've seen articles that suggest that Boston and Canada have little to no useful Vit D sunshine in winter. I think we're a little south of those places.

Another article I read suggested that in summer, the best time to get your sunshine Vit D is actually at midday when most of us think it is the hottest and most dangerous. I was kinda shocked to read that one. It's to do with the impact of the Ozone layer apparently.

You only need about 13 mins of that midday sun to get the exposure you need. Afternoon sun is appraently far less effective.

I'll be heading South this Xmas and New Year so hopefully I will get some decent sunshine then.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Considering it's hardly got daylight here for several days, had to have the lights on in the livingroom all day, I have a funny feeling it's not giving out much vitamin d at all at the moment.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 02:14 PM

I think Gravitas it depends how far you are from the equator and how high the sun rises in the day, which will vary all across the globe.

I've seen articles that suggest that Boston and Canada have little to no useful Vit D sunshine in winter. I think we're a little south of those places.

Another article I read suggested that in summer, the best time to get your sunshine Vit D is actually at midday when most of us think it is the hottest and most dangerous. I was kinda shocked to read that one. It's to do with the impact of the Ozone layer apparently.

You only need about 13 mins of that midday sun to get the exposure you need. Afternoon sun is appraently far less effective.

I'll be heading South this Xmas and New Year so hopefully I will get some decent sunshine then.
I was talking about Britain.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Cutting through the crap and personal insults...

If the daily recommendation of VitD is somewhere between 600 and 800 IUs which converts to 15 to 20 mg then my 27 isn't deficient.

What the heck?

Just to be clear (now I sound like TM!!) it's a well known phenomenon that many folk have a VitD deficiency today because of constant application of high factor sunscreens, especially children.
Why stating this would cause a personal insult is beyond my understanding.
Saw GP this morning...she looked back and found my VitD was:

In 2012 May...65
In 2012 Nov...110 (after 6 months of summer plus vitD suuplement
In 2017 ...60

This month 27.

So obviously deficient.
I have a 10 week course to boost the level.

I'm happy with that.

Edit: and less of the "Old People" if you don't mind!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
In 2012 May...65
In 2012 Nov...110 (after 6 months of summer plus vitD suuplement
In 2017 ...60

This month 27.

So obviously deficient.
I have a 10 week course to boost the level.

Interesting Ruthio.

Surely the important thing here is to establish what is causing the deficiency as it could be one of many different things. Did your GP have any ideas?

Out of interest which supplements were you prescribed or advised to get?

Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top