Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

What are your favourite soups made in a slow cooker?

My first choice would be split pea soup with ham
My second choice would be leek & potato

I’ve just purchased a new slow cooker and want to have a continuous supply of fresh homemade soups.

Butternut squash soup I like
Chicken with rice is nice
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Re: Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

I like using my slow cooker but I cannot seem to make soups, stews and casseroles as no matter what they always taste the same.
I do use the slow cooker every two or three days as I make my own wholemeal bread in it and have recently been experimenting with making a mix of wholemeal and white flour bread. Its so much nicer than shop bought bread.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:26 PM

I've got a veg one on the go in my slow cooker as I type. All the veggies have been cut into bite-sized pieces.

2 x bell peppers (green because they aren't fit for owt else )
2 x large leeks
6 x sticks of celery
1 x sweet potato
1 x parsnip
Both of these will thicken the soup when it is blended.
1 x 2" piece of ginger peeled and sliced
1 x veg stock cube

Covered with hot water and cooked on low overnight. When all veggies are soft, a tin of chopped tomatoes is added and cooked further. The whole lot is then blitzed with a hand-held stick blender then seasoned to taste then cooked a while longer if it's not thick enough.

I drink this as a soup, put some in a saucepan and add chicken or Quorn pieces and rice pasta or fry up some minced pork in a frying pan with some onion and when cooked through, add some of the soup as a sauce.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:47 PM

I make some gorgeous soups my dad liv evthem i.ll post
the recipes when I get home
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I like using my slow cooker but I cannot seem to make soups, stews and casseroles as no matter what they always taste the same.
I do use the slow cooker every two or three days as I make my own wholemeal bread in it and have recently been experimenting with making a mix of wholemeal and white flour bread. Its so much nicer than shop bought bread.
They are fabulous for making soups and super easy. Hopefully you will benefit from this thread also.

I have never considered making bread in a slow cooker but it’s a great idea. Thank you for that. They sound delicious.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

21-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've got a veg one on the go in my slow cooker as I type. All the veggies have been cut into bite-sized pieces.

2 x bell peppers (green because they aren't fit for owt else )
2 x large leeks
6 x sticks of celery
1 x sweet potato
1 x parsnip
Both of these will thicken the soup when it is blended.
1 x 2" piece of ginger peeled and sliced
1 x veg stock cube

Covered with hot water and cooked on low overnight. When all veggies are soft, a tin of chopped tomatoes is added and cooked further. The whole lot is then blitzed with a hand-held stick blender then seasoned to taste then cooked a while longer if it's not thick enough.

I drink this as a soup, put some in a saucepan and add chicken or Quorn pieces and rice pasta or fry up some minced pork in a frying pan with some onion and when cooked through, add some of the soup as a sauce.
I’m cooking turkey stock right now also. This sounds like something I would like very much. Stock with flavour and I have never even considered adding ginger but what a great idea. Ginger is great for many things including stomach aches and it tastes great. I’m off to the store now to get the ingredients I need.

Thank you Judd.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

21-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I make some gorgeous soups my dad liv evthem i.ll post
the recipes when I get home
Thank you. I look forward to them.

Squeal.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:18 PM

Can you make these if you haven't got a slow cooker, on a low gas or induction hob?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:20 PM

I made a lovely gammon and red lentil soup,a few weeks back,put the gammon on a bed of par cooked onion and raw carrots,make sure the gammon is covered with chicken stock,cook for seven hours,take the meat out,it falls apart,with a fork,then put it back in,job done,I freeze it as well,had some today,added some peas,heated up in microwave,served with crusty bread.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Can you make these if you haven't got a slow cooker, on a low gas or induction hob?
Yes, or a cast-iron creuset style casserole in a low oven but a slow cooker is cheaper and easier because once switched on, it can be forgotten about.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top