Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:45 PM

TV Remote fixing

Manhattan Freesat remote seems to be having a paddy with the channel changer buttons.

So I Googled and found this for fixing remote buttons. Has anyone done this, and does it work?

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Re: TV Remote fixing

Never tried it, assuming it is the little foil tape in the remote, then give it a go, if it doesn’t work you can always buy one of those universal remotes
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 11:18 PM

I am not sure about this method. I had a remote recently that had not been used for a while and which was not working. All I did was take the batteries out and prise it apart - no screws in this model (Sony) - clean the board with some alcohol, gently clean the back of the press buttons with alcohol put it all back together and test it. I think Meths or rubbing alcohol would do.

BTW Testing it was not a matter of pointing it at the TV though I guess that would work but I used a camera. Cameras are sensitive to the infra red light used by the remote so all you need to do is look at the working end of the remote control through your camera. When you press a button you will see the LED in the end of the remote control flash on the camera's screen.

All I did was press each button on the remote control to check each one responded. This is much easier than manipulating the TV to test every button.

If any had not then perhaps doing something like that suggested in the video might be warranted though I would try cleaning it again first in the area of the dodgy button.

Fresh batteries might help too.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure about this method. I had a remote recently that had not been used for a while and which was not working. All I did was take the batteries out and prise it apart - no screws in this model (Sony) - clean the board with some alcohol, gently clean the back of the press buttons with alcohol put it all back together and test it. I think Meths or rubbing alcohol would do.

I sussed today mine has no screws either and wasn't sure if I dared prise it apart in case I knackered it further

BTW Testing it was not a matter of pointing it at the TV though I guess that would work but I used a camera. Cameras are sensitive to the infra red light used by the remote so all you need to do is look at the working end of the remote control through your camera. When you press a button you will see the LED in the end of the remote control flash on the camera's screen.

Yes, I read about that that online! Thwarted on that one though as I haven't got a camera

All I did was press each button on the remote control to check each one responded. This is much easier than manipulating the TV to test every button.

If any had not then perhaps doing something like that suggested in the video might be warranted though I would try cleaning it again first in the area of the dodgy button.

Yes, I did that first I might be a woman, but I ain't thick
I found another video (below). Talk about easy peasy!
Will do that tomorrow, TV not on now, so I'm not fussed. I can still use some buttons on the remote, but after trying the suggestion on the video tomorrow, if it doesn't work I'll get my daughter to get me another off Amazon. (I don't do online shopping).

Thanks Primus for your reply too.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta

Yes, I did that first I might be a woman, but I ain't thick
I didn't mean it like that. Batteries in remote controls still work when they are at a very low voltages. I have replaced mine and discovered that the batteries have been below 0.9v (they should be 1.5v) yet at the time the remote seemed to work fine except perhaps one function became a bit hit and miss.

BTW what about the camera in your phone?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

23-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Update:

Well, I'll go to our 'ouse! Crazy! The 2nd video actually works!
The buttons, although not perfect, are far more responsive following the second video.

How does this works? Is it something to do with removal of static or something?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I didn't mean it like that. Batteries in remote controls still work when they are at a very low voltages. I have replaced mine and discovered that the batteries have been below 0.9v (they should be 1.5v) yet at the time the remote seemed to work fine except perhaps one function became a bit hit and miss.

BTW what about the camera in your phone?
I was only joshing with ya Bruce

Oh, my phone camera! I forgot about that!
It's a 2nd phone my daughter bought me and does have a camera. I'm ashamed to say I don't even know how to use it.

I dislike using it and only use it for the free Whats App for us to keep in contact when she's out of the country.
It gives me the willies. I could willingly sling it, but don't tell my daughter that. If she's not away, it sits on the side table unused in my bedroom

My other one, I take everywhere. Had it since the year dot and prefer it for texting, but has no camera and no i/net connection.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

24-01-2019, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
U
How does this works? Is it something to do with removal of static or something?
Not static just the mechanical removal of dirt/dust/corrosion by repeatedly pressing the button. It has a similar effect as cleaning the board inside with alcohol though perhaps not quite as effective but a lot less fiddly.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 11:04 AM

I bought a new remote from eBay ...problem solved .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Getting drinks poured over them was a common thing to happen. Then they had to be taken apart, the whole lot washed in warm soapy water, rinsed off and thoroughly dried in the Sun or with a hairdryer before reassembly.

That was in the days when just anything was mended if it was at all possible. Far more eco-friendly I suppose. However, these days it is less trouble and not very expensive to just get a new remote control.

It's a long time since I was a TV engineer but I still always move a drink and remote control well apart if I see they are close together.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

05-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Well, the remote's still trucking on.

Miss Madam's going to buy me a new one off Amazon, as part of a birthday pressie when the time comes. Unless, I need it before then

Mart - drinks in the remotes? Gosh, there's some slobs about

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top