Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Is it OK to Grow Test Tube Brains?

It seems you all are growing brains over there in Cambridge, and I don't mean taking university coursework.

Researchers are successfully growing mouse brain organoids, not unlike those of a small embryo, that autonomously (probabably via pluripotent stem cells) make specialized brain tissue and connections.

Is that brain an individual? Do we have a right to grow a brain without a body?

Brexit has nothing on the coming moral debate over this...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ontract-muscle
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Re: Is it OK to Grow Test Tube Brains?

Anyone with an overwhelming desire to eat Cheese should be concerned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:05 PM

I am not too keen on a lot of these experiments, we aren't god and are messing with things they don't really understand IMO

One day it will go wrong and I hope it won't have catastrophic consequences.

What I do think is odd is if some other countries were doing it we would all instantly condemn it but because it's us you find people thinking it's OK.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 05:07 PM

The latest blob shows similarities, in terms of the variety of neurons and their organisation, to the human foetal brain at 12-16 weeks of pregnancy.

However, the scientists said the structure was still too small and primitive to have anything approaching thoughts, feelings or consciousness.
I am reminded of "A for Andromeda" (1961) (BBC) when the protoplasmic lifeform, nicknamed "Cyclops" on account of its giant eye, is destroyed by its' creator, the computer, when a newly created human embryo rapidly grows to maturity as a clone of the deceased human Christine (the lovely Julie Christie in her first ever role), previously killed by the computer.

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 06:41 PM

What on earth is the point to growing BRAINS ? What will they do with them , and a mouse brain at that ?

They'd do better developing magnified eye balls so they can see the mouse brains.

I agree with Julie and there are various petitions with regard to using animals for scientific research in the UK.. more is hoped to be reviewed after we leave EU.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 06:44 PM

A bit long winded , but worth a read :

The Government is committed to making any necessary changes required to UK law in a rigorous and comprehensive way to ensure animal sentience is recognised after the UK leaves the EU.

The Government is committed to the very highest standards of animal welfare as we leave the EU. There has never been any question that this Government’s policies on animal welfare are driven by the fact that animals are sentient beings. We will make any necessary changes required to UK law in a rigorous and comprehensive way to ensure animal sentience is recognised after we leave the EU.

The Government’s view is that the current protections provided by Article 13 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) have not delivered the progress we want to see and that once we have left the EU we can do better. Article 13 only applies to a limited number of EU policy areas, provides some wide-ranging exemptions and most importantly, there is little scope for the duty to be enforced. As such, it has not prevented some practices in EU member states, which we would consider cruel and painful to animals.

In contrast, the Government will ensure that animal sentience is not only recognised in domestic law, but that we will have an effective and proportionate means of taking animal sentience into account in policy making.

Here in the UK, we are already improving animal welfare standards without EU input and beyond the scope of Article 13. The Government is committed to taking action to improve animal welfare at home and abroad, including by increasing maximum sentences for animal cruelty, banning third party sales of puppies, and introducing one of the world’s toughest bans on ivory sales. We have also made CCTV mandatory in slaughterhouses and we are planning other reforms. These steps show how seriously this Government gives regard to animal welfare.

As we move towards a new relationship with Europe and the rest of the world, we have a unique opportunity to shape future animal welfare policy in the UK to ensure our already high animal welfare standards are maintained and enhanced.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 06:46 PM

I would imagine that eventually they could be used in computers, ones that can think for themselves without being programmed. Cyborgs I suppose.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Why do the mad scientists need to do this?

What is the point when many people nowadays are donating organs.
Just another excuse to practice macabre experiments on innocent animals., and you can be sure it won't stop at unfortunate mice!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Part of me is against this for ethical reasons, but another part is hungry for progress if we can find a way to transplant brain cells and halt alzheimers, reverse brain damage, cure paralysis. Imagine if they can bring someone who has dementia back to normal life. So I am torn on this subject.

Decades ago people were horrified at the idea of heart and other organ transplants. Scientific progress can seem horrific.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Well said AnnieS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top