Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: the penny farthing

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it is a very clever design particularly how it all folds in on itself which is a good reason for having a front wheel bigger than the back. I could never understand the reason on the original penny farthing.
Gearing was the reason for that big front wheel.
Then we got chains and sprockets to change the ratio of pedal cycles to wheel cycles.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Well it looks cool!

How it actually works, and the materials used is top secret.

The way I see it is .....

Watch this animation http://www.cyclopic.co.uk/

The grey bits are rigid frame, blue/black rotate. (?)

On cornering it bends at that central folding point.

Could be good.
Great potential d00d! Depending on the materials used it
could solve a lot of our city generated probloms, such as
pollution/ congestion/ noise etc, the fly in the ointment will
I suspect, be human laziness.
However l wish the two lads involved the best of luck
And advise them to beware who they involve in this venture.

Regards Donkeyman.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Before gears were invented, one revolution of the pedal meant one revolution of the wheel. The bigger the wheel the further you travelled.

The size of the other wheel was unimportant, so may as well be small.
Thanks d00d. So size was important after all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Gearing was the reason for that big front wheel.
Then we got chains and sprockets to change the ratio of pedal cycles to wheel cycles.
Thanks Besoeker. Just thinking about the disadvantage of the raleigh chopper but I suppose it was ok because it was geared, albeit only three gears.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Well it looks cool!

How it actually works, and the materials used is top secret.

The way I see it is .....

Watch this animation http://www.cyclopic.co.uk/

The grey bits are rigid frame, blue/black rotate. (?)

On cornering it bends at that central folding point.

Could be good.
I agree that the grey bits are the rigid frame and the blue/black bits rotate. I think that is obvious.

What I'd really like to know is how the wheels are supported by the frame (or the other way around), and allow for free unimpeded movement yet are retained in position without any looseness.

In traditional bicycles, the only connection between the wheels and the frame are the hubs, which are relatively small. In this, I suspect that there are quite extensive connections/bearings which are able to allow free movement yet, at the same time, ensure that the wheels cannot detach from the frame.

It may be a 'secret', but I certainly wouldn't think about buying one without knowing a lot more!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 05:14 PM

I posit that the mechanism for the spokelesss wheel will be based on the mechanisms used by modern roller coasters. i.e. the part that keeps the car on the rails

So inside the "box" will be a number of strong wheels, like roller skate wheels which themselves rotate on good bearings. The skate wheels will be on all sides such that the wheel rim can not break out of them.

It seems kinda clever but my instinct makes me wonder about the downward force from the weight of the rider on that vertical bearing setup. Would it not have more pressure at one end than the other?

Perhaps that is why it has been developed as a Penny Farthing with larger front wheel. That probably reduces the force on the bearings.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 05:30 PM

I also notice that the handlebars appear to be un-adjustable.

They move vertically so they can be folded up, but they can't be moved toward the cyclist. That means shorter people will be leaning forward a lot which puts strain on the wrists and is uncomfortable.

Also no mud guards

And nowhere to store anything like an under saddle bag.

Saddle itself looks a tad . . . . insubstantial ! Does it look comfortable to anyone ?

Concept looks fantastic. I suspect because it's a first iteration it will evolve from here into something more comprehensive.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 05:31 PM

Hmmm ... I thought the purpose of the larger wheel was to accommodate the smaller wheel when folded. But there could be another reason.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 05:50 PM

... can't see a need for mudguards ... with all that housing front & back where the drive, gears, brakes are.

Seat .... you get a good look in the video at 00:54
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I posit that the mechanism for the spokelesss wheel will be based on the mechanisms used by modern roller coasters. i.e. the part that keeps the car on the rails

So inside the "box" will be a number of strong wheels, like roller skate wheels which themselves rotate on good bearings. The skate wheels will be on all sides such that the wheel rim can not break out of them.

It seems kinda clever but my instinct makes me wonder about the downward force from the weight of the rider on that vertical bearing setup. Would it not have more pressure at one end than the other?

Perhaps that is why it has been developed as a Penny Farthing with larger front wheel. That probably reduces the force on the bearings.
Which suggests, as I mentioned earlier, that the tyres must be thinner than the wheel rim. Of course, there's no reason why that shouldn't be the case.

Good points, though on that basis there would be more force on the rear wheel bearings.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top