Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 09:14 PM

Re: Dandelions!

Before I get my salt cellar out, I am doing some research and this is fascinating - perhaps I should be cultivating a dandelion section in my veg patch : https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily...root-to-fluff/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Before I get my salt cellar out, I am doing some research and this is fascinating - perhaps I should be cultivating a dandelion section in my veg patch : https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily...root-to-fluff/
That's an excellent article and I have, in the past, used bucketloads of dandelions for wine, tea and salad. However, it is not for nothing that the "dent-de-lion" is also known as "pis-en-lit" or "wet-the-bed" - eating too many leaves at tea-time may result in an "accident" during bed-time .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
eating too many leaves at tea-time may result in an "accident" during bed-time .....
ooer... thanks for the tip!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 10:44 PM

Take care with the salt thing. Salt can burn your pets feet if it gets between their pads. I use a root removing tool. A very thin forked tool which I push down vertically an inch or so beside the dandelion and lever it gently out taking the tap root with it. Patience require if you have lots of them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Take care with the salt thing. Salt can burn your pets feet if it gets between their pads. I use a root removing tool. A very thin forked tool which I push down vertically an inch or so beside the dandelion and lever it gently out taking the tap root with it. Patience require if you have lots of them.
Hi EZ thanks for confirming my worries about pets. I have one of those root removing tools. They are fabulous but it's not easy to tell when you have reached the roots.

What I found out online today is that dandelions are perennials! That explains a lot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 11:01 PM

There's some more about using Dandelions here, Annie:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...-706/dandelion

And here's a bit more . . .

A Dandelion is a perennial plant, it has a tap root which stores food. Even if you pull out the Dandelion if you leave a section of the tap root in the ground it will re grow.
Seeds from the flower head are airborne and can travel several miles on the wind, and they germinate and establish themselves very easily.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 04:58 AM

I feel sorry for Dandelions, they are such pretty plants but hated by just about everyone I dig them up too otherwise they take over....but it doesn't stop me feeling sorry for them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
ST it's so funny because I was thinking this when I was digging them up and was planning to google to check if it's ok to eat the weeds or whether it's a special variety. I was planning to check dandelion and burdock too to see what else you can do with the dratted things. What is burdock??

So you can just add the leaves to any mixed salad? It's funny how conditioned we are to buy food at the supermarket!

I thought you could make tea too - is that from the flowers?
I use the leaves - raw - in salads, but you can cook them as a green veg. The roots can be used to make tea - or if you roast/grind, them a sort of coffee substitute. The milky sap and flower petals are used in skin/hair care products.
Dandelions are definitely good guys - full of Vit C - help prevent bloating and water retention.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 11:28 AM

I think they're very happy flowers, like little suns and the "clocks" are so delicate.
If we weren't conditioned to thinking they're weeds they'd be sold in garden centres!
I don't mind them, insects like them.

Just pop the heads off if you don't want them to spread
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-04-2019, 11:59 AM

I am starting to see dandelions in a whole new light!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top