Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 11:32 PM

Re: Who Votes?

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
No one gives a flying f*ck about what Australia or Australians do....you and your adopted country are a complete irrelevance.
I'm more interested in Aborigines and Koalas than Australians.
Well that told him
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I have mentioned elsewhere we are preparing for a federal Election on the 18th May. The electoral rolls have just closed for this election.

According to the Electoral Commission 98% of people eligible to vote have enrolled for this election. Young people have become engaged in the political system as never before - possibly as a result of the same sex marriage plebiscite.

One thing about Australian elections is that no one every complains about the result it is truly the will of the people for good reasons:

Voting is compulsory
Elections are always held on a Saturday.
Voting is a preferential system so every vote counts.

Then there is the Senate (yep, we are a democracy, no unelected swill here)

https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/counting/senate_count.htm
But how many spoiled papers? They're counted as a political statement, surely.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
But how many spoiled papers? They're counted as a political statement, surely.
I vaguely remember reading that the rate of informal votes runs at about 5%. If you only want to make a political statement then , as I understand it, you can write what you like on the ballot paper but as long as the intent is clear, ied the ballot is numbered correctly, then the vote still counts.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 08:48 AM

As I have mentioned elsewhere we are preparing for a federal Election on the 18th May. The electoral rolls have just closed for this election.

According to the Electoral Commission 98% of people eligible to vote have enrolled for this election. Young people have become engaged in the political system as never before - possibly as a result of the same sex marriage plebiscite.

One thing about Australian elections is that no one every complains about the result it is truly the will of the people for good reasons:

Voting is compulsory
Elections are always held on a Saturday

Voting is a preferential system so every vote counts.

Then there is the Senate (yep, we are a democracy, no unelected swill here)

https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/counting/senate_count.htm

You seem to have provoked the ire of the usual on here, must be doing something right then! Little Englanders don’t seem to like more democratic systems out of their little isolationist bubble.We have a semi-proportional system for the Scottish Parliament, which is not perfect but better than pure first by the post (the system even helped the Tories up here!) . They also don’t like the idea of compulsory voting, perhaps because it might relegate extremists to the margins where they belong!
Gan oan yersel mate!
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
You seem to have provoked the ire of the usual on here, must be doing something right then! Little Englanders don’t seem to like more democratic systems out of their little isolationist bubble.We have a semi-proportional system for the Scottish Parliament, which is not perfect but better than pure first by the post (the system even helped the Tories up here!) . They also don’t like the idea of compulsory voting, perhaps because it might relegate extremists to the margins where they belong!
Gan oan yersel mate!
"Little Englanders" is they key phrase there, and "isolationist bubble" is good, too.

I'm not so sure that voting should be compulsory, though.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
"Little Englanders" is they key phrase there, and "isolationist bubble" is good, too.

Fair enough. I’m just concerned that modern Westminster shenanigans put so many people off it opens up the field to the extremes who tend to be more politically motivated. We are on the same page though.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Gan oan yersel mate!
I don't mind, they are happy sitting in the corner with their crayons doing their colouring in.

There are a few things Australia does/did really well, the electoral system is one, metrication/decimalisation and the industrial awards, arbitration and conciliation system are others (though it has to be said that the latter has been tinkered with far too many times by both sides of politics
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->

I am very much in favour of making voting compulsory. It should be considered a civic duty like jury duty (who like to be tried before a jury of volunteers?). In the event of an election no one can complain about the result, the government truly is the will of the people rather than the 30% of the population that could be cajoled into voting. There are no unsightly scenes of party faithful snatching old ladies off the street and dragging them kicking and screaming to polling stations.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Does that mean that with compulsory voting you get less chance of the hard left and hard right gaining control or does it mean that you end up with a parliament with lots of small parties scrabbling around to build up their voting potential?

Is it easier for people to vote on a Saturday as there are far less people who have to work on that day rather than a weekday?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:37 PM

I don't mind, they are happy sitting in the corner with their crayons doing their colouring in.

There are a few things Australia does/did really well, the electoral system is one, metrication/decimalisation and the industrial awards, arbitration and conciliation system are others (though it has to be said that the latter has been tinkered with far too many times by both sides of politics
I feel that refers more to the bleating remainers tbh.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top