Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 06:24 PM

Car parking on pavements.

The number of times, even where I live, you get some numpty half parking on a pavement. Visitors are usually the most guilty, so why don't traffic wardens patrol residentual roads and slap a ticket on them.
The number of times parents with prams and push chairs are forced into the road to get past must surely raise considerably the risk of being hit.

What would stop it is a law passed allowing pedestrians to knock off the wing mirrors.
If the road is narrow then they can go park elsewhere
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:39 PM

Re: Car parking on pavements.

What annoys me is when they don't just put 2 wheels on the edge of the kerb, they park three quarters of the car over the pavement so only one person can squeeze by. It's a nightmare here at school times.

It's a difficult one though, because sometimes if they only parked on the road, and there are cars both sides, traffic would have problems getting along the road, let alone pedestrians.

Where I live, it is right on a bend, and the mothers going to the school park both sides of the road, half on the pavements all around the bend itself.
Very often the buses can't get round the bend, and have to phone their depot to tell them. Police have been called several times, but the next day the school cars are all parked there again.

There are some double yellow lines nearer the school, but no one takes any notice and just park on the lines.

It's all very well to say "Go somewhere else", but sometimes there isn't anywhere else.
Some of the mothers are sitting in their cars outside an hour before the school turns out, because they know there won't be anywhere to park if they don't get there early.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 11:23 PM

This angers me a lot. My grandson Jason has Cerebal Palsy & uses a wheelchair. Sometimes he has to get on the road to get round the car on the pavement.

He's so used to it he doesn't even get angry but I do.

I keep some leaflets in my bag that I've printed.

BEFORE YOU PARK ON THE PAVEMENT PLEASE HAVE SOME THOUGHT FOR WHEELCHAIR USERS.

If I see one I slip a leaflet under their wipers. Hopefully it will make them think twice.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 02:06 AM

I have lived in various parts of the country..way ooop north & south and London is the oddest place for parking....where i live
you MUST park half on pavement half off or you will get a ticket, luckily I have a drive BUT others dont and large vans,ambulances,bin wagons ect ect cant get thru.
Buggys,wheelchairs have to use the rd to get along...nightmare but people seem to just accept it.
Other roads nearby you must park fully on the pavement !
just out of our area you must NOT park on the pavement !
The ONLY way any of us know to save getting yet another ticket is check around us, the parking wardens zoom around on motorbikes or cars and slap tickets on, so cant ask them ! Its truely unbeleivable, only in london eh !
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
This angers me a lot. My grandson Jason has Cerebal Palsy & uses a wheelchair. Sometimes he has to get on the road to get round the car on the pavement.

He's so used to it he doesn't even get angry but I do.

I keep some leaflets in my bag that I've printed.

BEFORE YOU PARK ON THE PAVEMENT PLEASE HAVE SOME THOUGHT FOR WHEELCHAIR USERS.

If I see one I slip a leaflet under their wipers. Hopefully it will make them think twice.
Carol – my mother was disabled and in a wheelchair. Very independent she used to do her own shopping locally, that was when she could get past the cars parked almost fully on the pavement. She often used to complain to the police and council but nothing changed. So frustrating for her when she could get onto the road from the access road to her flat but couldn't get up the kerb and back onto the pavement again close to the shops.

One time I was in my local library, on leaving I saw a woman parking across the sloping, dropped kerb. On leaving the library this woman was just leaving the bank and getting into her SUV, I spoke to her asking if she realised where she had parked? Apologies were made, she hadn't realised. The very next day I was walking to the library and couldn't believe it – that same woman in the same vehicle had parked again in exactly the same place!

Sometimes Carol it's a total waste of time as some people just do not care one bit!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 07:09 AM

Don't you have a phone? Take a picture and send it off to the council rangers. No good whinging on here about it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-10 08.39.04.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	9510   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-15 18.04.22.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	9511   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-21 07.53.11.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	9512   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-25 08.14.05.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	9513  
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't you have a phone? Take a picture and send it off to the council rangers. No good whinging on here about it.
Bruce – absolutely no point reporting this to anyone here in the UK! The councils don't want to know and advise reporting the offence to the police, they are so short-staffed and have to prioritise so do nothing other than advising report it to the council – see what I mean!

Like a lot of things in the UK, people who wish to behave in this way seem to be allowed to do what they like, knowing nothing will be done about their anti-social behaviour!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Its a tricky one, on a narrow street, striking a balance of leaving enough room for an emergency vehicles, and, room for access for pedestrians/disabled people.

Having said that, some folks are just confrontational, three or four months back, road conditions meant that parking on a footpath was the safest option, due to visibility on a bend, the footpath in question was at least 25 feet wide, when I returned to the car, a woman walking past said "Roads are for cars, Pavements are for people", there was no arguing with that sentiment, but, in that context, where no combination of people or mobility aids would have been impeded, the statement was probably unnecessary.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Hi

I live less than 100 metres from a school entrance.

It is a nightmare at dropping off and picking up time.

I know I am going to be blocked in and willing let parents park on my crossover.

It is no great shakes, a small price to pay for helping those with kids with problems.

It is just a few prats who ruin it for everyone, and they are the ones in huge 4x4s.

Arrogant sods, everyone else is fine.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:24 AM

One answer is to throw a lot of bent nails on the road outside school gates.
Once a few cars get punctures they may think about walking to school instead.
as for reporting to the police, they are useless if not chasing cars doing 5 MPH over the speed limit.
Wat about those doing community service sticking parking tickets on illegally parked cars. No cost to the public and a great service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top