Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:39 PM

Re: Bird Bath

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My cats are the same. They have clean water daily in a pet fountain but they would prefer to drink out of a dirty rain puddle.
When we had the boat and the dog, the dog preferred canal water rather than fresh water
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Last summer in all the heat I felt sorry for the birds, I went raking in the greenhouse looking for the biggest saucer base for a flower pot I had, I found one about 14ins across. I cleaned it up and filled it with water then put it near their food stand. It didn't take long before they were splashing away in twos n threes having a grand time. I had to give them clean water every day as they messed it up pretty quickly. Hopefully I will have to do it again before much longer.
I love to see that too. It makes you feel as though you have done something useful for our feathered friends.

What unusual birds do you get there Roxy?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:44 PM

It takes birds a while to get used to things. They’ve probably seen the containers with the tadpoles already so are accustomed to them. The bird bath is new so they will be suspicious of it for a while. Give them a bit more time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:45 PM

Pesta, my advice is to give it more time.
Birds are often very wary of anything 'different' suddenly appearing.
I suppose we'd be the same if a strange object was suddenly in our home one morning which wasn't there the night before.

May I ask, is it a stone one?
I just wondered because they will also be put off it if it is brightly coloured. That's why I don't like many of these brightly painted nest boxes too.

My guess is, give it another week or two, keep the water clean, and one morning you will see your birds happily taking a bath.

(Haha, snap, Bratti. )
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My cats are the same. They have clean water daily in a pet fountain but they would prefer to drink out of a dirty rain puddle.

Gotta love ‘em though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

Gotta love ‘em though
Aw yeah....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

07-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I suppose we'd be the same if a strange object was suddenly in our home one morning which wasn't there the night before.

May I ask, is it a stone one?
I just wondered because they will also be put off it if it is brightly coloured. That's why I don't like many of these brightly painted nest boxes too.

My guess is, give it another week or two, keep the water clean, and one morning you will see your birds happily taking a bath.

(Haha, snap, Bratti. )
Yep.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
It takes birds a while to get used to things. They’ve probably seen the containers with the tadpoles already so are accustomed to them. The bird bath is new so they will be suspicious of it for a while. Give them a bit more time.

May I ask, is it a stone one
?

(Haha, snap, Bratti. )
Bratti and Mups, Yes I know you're right and I agree. I'm only being silly. But I was a tad disappointed TBH. I was SO wanting to see them enjoying themselves. I'll have to be patient and wait. I'm not known for my patience.

No it's not a stone one Mupsy, it's a metal one, colour cream. Bit twirly whirly on the legs and feet - not my thing really but it's for them not me
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Bratti and Mups, Yes I know you're right and I agree. I'm only being silly. But I was a tad disappointed TBH. I was SO wanting to see them enjoying themselves. I'll have to be patient and wait. I'm not known for my patience.

No it's not a stone one Mupsy, it's a metal one, colour cream. Bit twirly whirly on the legs and feet - not my thing really but it's for them not me

A metal one? Don't think I've seen one of those.
My first thought was will the metal edge get hot in full sun?
You'll have to leave some socks out for 'em.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-05-2019, 10:09 PM

A metal one? Don't think I've seen one of those.
My first thought was will the metal edge get hot in full sun?
You'll have to leave some socks out for 'em.
I'm laughing so much

It's ok, it won't be in full sun.
I tried to find a picture of it online but I can't find anything. It was from Home Sense and it's Laura Ashley, (which explains it's what I call twirly whirly). Totally ridiculous for a bird bath really but it was cheap (or should I say cheep ). I'll try and take a picture tomorrow.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top