Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Re: Empty Shops in Town Centres

Leeds town centre seems to be thriving have to admit though same as Judd I only go there if I have to because parking is so expensive.

Surrounding towns are not fairing so well...even Harrogate which used to always buck the trend has a few empty shops and quite a few Charity shops....I like going there though I have to admit I like to see things I'm buying in the flesh...online is not for me unless it's boring stuff like nails and screws that sort of thing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Nails and Screws aren't boring, Drills are boring.
Its a bit like the climate, folks allow stuff to deteriorate over a long period of time then, when realisation hits home, try to correct stuff with a series of quick fix's.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 07:37 AM

Hi

Business rates are set by Central Government, not the Council.

Market and Car Boot Fees are set by the landowner.

We used to have a thriving Sunday Market, the Council privatised it and rents soared, there are now only a few stalls left.

A great shame.

I agree completely about car parking charges.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I agree with you Azure - and as for markets!!

Our local one is pathetic now. No more than 6 stalls where there used to be 4 dozen or more.

Too much rent charged for the stalls...
Our local market is going the same way.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 08:48 AM

For any clothes I have to travel to the nearest bigger town,no outfitters in this rural market town at all now.Its all cafe's or hairdresser's/ barber shops.
Oh and of course lots of new houses being built.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Our main shopping street. Coney street, used to be so busy, now it’s a shadow of its former self, we have lots of hotels and cafes, to cater for the tourists, and of course,the many many student accommodation apartments that are always being built..
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:14 AM

The town where I grew up, Mold, has a massive street market twice weekly
And a livestock market weekly

I'd be interested to find out what rent they pay

The town itself has very few empty shops as a consequence but it also has it's fair share of charity ones
And the cafe culture is thriving there! If a place has tables and chairs outside... they'll be occupied, all day!
I quite like that vibe though, on a sunny day you can imagine you're in an European town or city
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:18 AM

Our council built a leisure centre on the car park that best served the High St against popular opinion which favoured another site.

Our High St has lost

Next
BHS
Marks and Spencer
Tesco

Royal Bank of Scotland

and this year will lose Debenhams
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Cheddar is only a village but we have a good selection of shops, you can survive here if you can't get anywhere else
I've noticed a few shops, in small towns, where people are sharing
One shop has second hand furniture etc. the shopkeeper rents cabinets and shelves out to crafters and upcyclers.
My daughter's friend tried to rent a small shop in a little arcade where I used to live, the rent and rates were much too high, she sells on local selling pages now instead. Most shops there are now cafes and charity shops.

It used to be cheaper to buy stuff in markets but I find they can be the same prices as shops now.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:31 AM

What became of Mary Portas' innovative ideas on rejuvenation of sad high streets?
In our local high street an empty bank building has become a thriving community centre.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top