Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Is There A Thread On Here, Showing How To Get Rid Of Pop-Ups?

Hi Art

I've posted about this many times. It's personal choice but . . .

For security peace of mind and to prevent pop ups and advertising windows and banners appearing just DISABLE JAVASCRIPT in your browser whatever you use. It will be in the settings somewhere, Google it if need be.

Disabling Javascript will make webpages load about 10 times faster then they currently do and there will be absolutely no pop ups or annoying adverts. You won't even get the popups and banners you see on every single website asking you to give consent for using Cookies nor any GDPR crap.

The downside is that some of the functionality of the webpage may not work because it needed JavaScript to do so. The odd button and so on but by and large I find that it's no problem.

Whenever you do need such functionality you just go back into browser settings, re-enable JavaScript temporarily to do what you need to do, and then disable it again afterwards. Simple. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

I don't use Adblocker, there is absolutely no need to when you disable JavaScript.

Just abut every webpage you visit runs program scripts the minute you visit it. All happens whilst the page is loading which is what causes delays. Those scripts do all sorts of things like run pop ups and adverts or to gather stuff from your PC to track you and so on. Really you don't want any of that BS so that's why I choose to disable JavaScript. It essentially kills the ability of the hackers and advert merchants in one fell swoop.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Yes that's very effective but it seems to disable some of the functionality on this forum specifically these options

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	javascript.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	9577  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 06:52 PM

I'm a Windows/Chrome user but the following may be helpful for OS/Chrome:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/stop-pop-ups-chrome

I've checked my settings - pop-ups are "Blocked" and I've never seen those "Carphone Warehouse" ads.

Apologies if you've already tried the procedure.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hi Art

For security peace of mind and to prevent pop ups and advertising windows and banners appearing just DISABLE JAVASCRIPT in your browser whatever you use. It will be in the settings somewhere, Google it if need be.

– Snip –
I use a MacBook Pro running an older OS X El Capitan version 10.11.06 and use Safari version 11.1.2. I have Javascript permanently disabled and also have AdBlock installed. Occasionally a website with a video will warn that Javascript needs to be used to view whatever it is. I enable it, which on the Mac is very easy, it allows you to enable it just for that one website or permanently. I choose the option for one website so it reverts to disabled when finished with that website. I haven't ever had any problems with this and have used this set-up for years now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hi Art

Disabling Javascript will make webpages load about 10 times faster then they currently do and there will be absolutely no pop ups or annoying adverts. You won't even get the popups and banners you see on every single website asking you to give consent for using Cookies nor any GDPR crap.

The downside is that some of the functionality of the webpage may not work because it needed JavaScript to do so. The odd button and so on but by and large I find that it's no problem.

Whenever you do need such functionality you just go back into browser settings, re-enable JavaScript temporarily to do what you need to do, and then disable it again afterwards. Simple. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

I don't use Adblocker, there is absolutely no need to when you disable JavaScript.

Just abut every webpage you visit runs program scripts the minute you visit it. All happens whilst the page is loading which is what causes delays. Those scripts do all sorts of things like run pop ups and adverts or to gather stuff from your PC to track you and so on. Really you don't want any of that BS so that's why I choose to disable JavaScript. It essentially kills the ability of the hackers and advert merchants in one fell swoop.
Realist, l thought this issue may have been discussed before but l couldn’t go trawling through the pages, so took the easy way out!
I have looked on my iPad and l can’t find JavaScript in the settings.
Since l downloaded AdBlocker, everything seems ok. I have also downloaded Google Chrome again. I haven’t been on it yet to see if there is still a problem with pop ups.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'm a Windows/Chrome user but the following may be helpful for OS/Chrome:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/stop-pop-ups-chrome

I've checked my settings - pop-ups are "Blocked" and I've never seen those "Carphone Warehouse" ads.

Apologies if you've already tried the procedure.
Thank You, Omah. That looks a very helpful article.
I am off to quiz now but l’ll have a good read of it when l get back.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Ray and Baz. I will have to look more into Javascript and try and understand it!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ray and Baz. I will have to look more into Javascript and try and understand it!
The link below shows how to enable Javascript on an iPad, to disable it is as easy, it's just sliding to show white rather than green so the reverse of what is shown:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guid...pt/safari-ipad
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have looked on my iPad and l can’t find JavaScript in the settings.
It's the settings for your browser not the iPad in general. In your case the settings for Safari.

How to Disable Javascript in Safari for iOS

1.Launch the “Settings” app and tap on “Safari”
2.Go to “Advanced” and locate “Javascript”, then flip the switch to the OFF position.
3.Exit Settings.
4.Quit and relaunch Safari for the change to take effect.
Baz46

14-05-2019, 09:58 PM

Reference post #19

Or as the link already given in post #18 which also shows helpful diagrams of the procedure and what you will see on your screen when enabling / disabling Javascript.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top