Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:01 PM

Re: Romanian fruit pickers

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think times have changed and many of our younger generations are not prepared for hard work and sticking to a strict routine. It's not that it's not possible but they are not used to it and a big adjustment would be required to change that attitude.

There is some legitimacy in that claim but the fact that tens of thousands of people applied for these jobs but were turned down clearly shows that the whole thing comes down to MONEY.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Trying to understand how our health is being put at risk by this move?
Well let's just start with what evidence is that this lot are disease free?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well let's just start with what evidence is that this lot are disease free?
How is our health being put at risk when Romania has very few cases compared with the UK? It's the other way around. These people are putting their health at risk by coming here to pick food for us. The UK is a covid-infested nest!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is some legitimacy in that claim but the fact that tens of thousands of people applied for these jobs but were turned down clearly shows that the whole thing comes down to MONEY.
I thought someone here said that they changed their mind when they realised what was involved. Probably getting up very early, working shifts and long hours for low pay.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:21 PM

How is our health being put at risk when Romania has very few cases compared with the UK? It's the other way around. These people are putting their health at risk by coming here to pick food for us. The UK is a covid-infested nest!
Well said, Annie.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

17-04-2020, 02:49 PM

How do you KNOW how many cases they have? Note the word KNOW?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 02:57 PM

I thought someone here said that they changed their mind when they realised what was involved. Probably getting up very early, working shifts and long hours for low pay.
Whilst I agree with you on the getting up, shifts and long hours statement, Annie, I saw somewhere that farmers are offering £15/hr. I don't call £15/hr (£600/wk for 40hrs) low pay.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
should have invested in automation like I said months ago

If the farmers had invested in machines we wouldn't have this problem with importing foreign labour and the small amount of jobs we do have a requirement for, could be paid proper wages and recruit uk workers

Thing is Bread, many of the smaller farms could never afford more expensive machinery, especially that which will sit in the barn for most of the year unused. Fruit harvesting is not a year round occupation, only seasonal.

Many don't even have a Combine because of the expensive machinery for a job that might take only a few short weeks, then 9 or 10 months of the year it is standing idle.
It would not be easy to 'share' a combine either, as most other farmer's crops would all be ready around the same time. I guess this is where contractors come in.

It is worth them investing in a decent tractor though, as it would be used most of the whole year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Whilst I agree with you on the getting up, shifts and long hours statement, Annie, I saw somewhere that farmers are offering £15/hr. I don't call £15/hr (£600/wk for 40hrs) low pay.

Neither do I, Percy, but where did that figure come from?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:07 PM

I find it hard to believe agricultural wages are historically always low .

Current rates
These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage. The rates change every April.

They look pretty poor to me .

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2020 (current rate) £8.72 £8.20 £6.45 £4.55 £4.15

April 2019 to March 2020 £8.21 £7.70 £6.15 £4.35 £3.90

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top