Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Re: Nom-de-Plume.

No need to apologise Alan ,wouldn`t imagine anybody would take offence .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sorry everyone, I did not intend to offend anyone ,I was just curious..
No offence taken Alan, actually it made interesting reading of why and how member's user names came about
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Sorry everyone, I did not intend to offend anyone ,I was just curious..
Alan I think on many Forums people like to maintain anonymity so adopt a 'Username' .

I have done so myself on other sites but have now reached an age where I am not so concerned about being completely anonymous though it is wise not to give away too many personal details on Forums for our own protection.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Roxanne is my Middle Name, I've been called Roxy for most of my life.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 11:39 PM

My real name "Christian" name is Mallory but I would not be prepared to give away my surname.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 07:32 AM

My nom-de-plume Alan is just as it says, I really am anti-brown.

I have never come across a more untruthful person in my life and a bigger bigot than he is.

My real name is Bob as you will see from my profile.

I have nothing to hide except my identity which is always hidden on the internet as I am very careful to whom I give it to.
One or two people on here or who have been here, have my real name and email addy but most people I meet have a false email addy, you never can be to careful who you are talking to on the internet.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 08:56 AM

It's true that anonymity is a double edged sword, but we can be over cynical sometimes I think. There are certainly some awful people around on the internet it's true and you have to protect yourself, but over a period of time such as on this forum it is usually possible to ascertain who is genuine and who isn't.

As most of you will know my real name is Barry and plantman was a nickname I was given when I was in business, although it can sometimes seem a bit silly and immature now..
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

14-06-2012, 09:11 AM

I think people are unwise to use their given name on a public forum in addition to giving out too much information about their personal situations. I also think they are foolish to post photos together with the names of family members, especially children. Whilst some might believe they are among friends, they have no real idea who the people are they meet in cyberspace. Of course some are pleasant genuine people, but others could well have evil intent. Paedophiles look out for pictures of children and if there is information about where they might be found, so much the better. Just be cautious, I know my kids would go absolutely ballistic if I put any photos of my grandchildren on forums, or gave out any details about them. As it is they think I am crazy to post on forums anyway.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I think people are unwise to use their given name on a public forum in addition to giving out too much information about their personal situations. I also think they are foolish to post photos together with the names of family members, especially children. Whilst some might believe they are among friends, they have no real idea who the people are they meet in cyberspace. Of course some are pleasant genuine people, but others could well have evil intent. Paedophiles look out for pictures of children and if there is information about where they might be found, so much the better. Just be cautious, I know my kids would go absolutely ballistic if I put any photos of my grandchildren on forums, or gave out any details about them. As it is they think I am crazy to post on forums anyway.
I agree with most of what you say. But I think that forums, Facebook and twitter are all harmless forms of communication providing you use common sense.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

14-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I agree with most of what you say. But I think that forums, Facebook and twitter are all harmless forms of communication providing you use common sense.

You have got to be joking! Facebook and Twitter have caused people heaps of problems. People have been stalked on Facebook by on-line trolls and bullies!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top