Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Weird expressions

We all know them, but I wonder sometimes where they originate.
My hubby was changing some lampshades when out it came - "You are making a right pig's ear of it"

I know so many.
Do use them?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Re: Weird expressions

This subject arose a few years back I seem to remember.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 06:29 PM

How about.

Honky-dory.
Put that in your Pipe and smoke it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:14 PM

One I first heard whilst having dinner at a friendīs house. My friend asked her daughter to "side the table". I got up thinking she wanted to push the table back towards the wall. Evidently she meant her daughter to clear the table. That was a new one to me.

Also, someone who asked me to "pass the slide" had me somewhat perplexed, meaning pass the butter.

Iīd never heard of either of these expressions.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
We all know them, but I wonder sometimes where they originate.
My hubby was changing some lampshades when out it came - "You are making a right pig's ear of it"

I know so many.
Do use them?
A similar expression,meaning the same is making a purse from a sow's ear!!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
One I first heard whilst having dinner at a friendīs house. My friend asked her daughter to "side the table". I got up thinking she wanted to push the table back towards the wall. Evidently she meant her daughter to clear the table. That was a new one to me.

Also, someone who asked me to "pass the slide" had me somewhat perplexed, meaning pass the butter.

Iīd never heard of either of these expressions.
I've heard "side the table" but "pass the slide" means nothing to me and can't be found by searching .....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:37 PM

Cockney's have many expressions,

Put wood in't hole!!! Meaning close the door or you might be asked if you were born in a barn???
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Cockney's have many expressions,

Put wood in't hole!!! Meaning close the door or you might be asked if you were born in a barn???
The cockney ones are brill!

My Dad used to say he was going to see a man about a dog.
When I was little I always thought, how strange as we already had a dog.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:00 PM

My gran used to say "Ye gods and lttle fishes" when she was surprised or shocked.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A similar expression,meaning the same is making a purse from a sow's ear!!!
We know it as "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." (without the three exclamation marks)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top