Join for free
Page 50 of 50 « First < 40 48 49 50
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:31 PM

Re: Jeremy Corbyn has done it!!

Originally Posted by Judd ->
He's done what again?
He's made Labour unfit for government.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 11:39 PM

Miaow!
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
The Sun readers don't believe you.
Who?...
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
Who?...
They do exist.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 09:18 PM

I don't care for the Labour party these days, I disagree with a lot of their policies but as a young man several years ago they were the only game in town for the working man and I would vote for them in the general elections. They have changed so much over the years, and not for the better in my opinion, so I no longer support the labour party.

They elected a new leader last month (Jeremy Corbyn) he wants to continue with the open door policy letting unlimited numbers of immigrants and refugees into an already overcrowded country that can not afford to provide the extra infrastructure required.

He also believes that we are better off continuing to be members of the EU and becoming one more part in the sum of parts that will make up Federal Europe; an idea that was mooted in 1939. It failed then, and it will fail now.

Just these two points alone will stop me from ever voting for labour again. But Jeremy and myself do agree on one thing; We should not be bombing in Syria, I would go one step further and say we should not be bombing in Afghanistan, Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East, we do not know what the hell we are doing and I believe we are just making things worse.

This young chap says it better than I ever could.......

Syria; Too many bombs spoil the broth
By lawrence.john | Posted: December 05, 2015

Steve Miller
Comments (0)
By the time you are reading this the die would of already been cast, parliament will of already decided to extend its war into another country, or it will have not, but one thing is for certain there is no end in sight for the war on terror.
Ask yourself do you believe the world is a safer place?
A safer place after Iraq, after Afghanistan and after Libya?
After Mali and all the other skirmishes against the war on terror. Have all the bombs, all the dead soldiers and all the wasted life made you feel more secure in your home?
When you turn your light off at night and put your head down to rest do you rest easy and comfortable in the fact that you know British bombs are being dropped on foreign countries, and people and soldiers are dying in far flung lands?
I for one do not feel any safer in fact if the media is to be believed I should feel less safe now than I did in 2001.
In Afghanistan and Iraq we brought our full military might to bear, as did the coalition forces and what did we ultimately achieve? Did we wipe out Al-Qaeda, did we stamp out terrorism?
Nope, in fact we did the complete opposite.
As the former head of MI5 Baroness Manningham-Buller stated: "Our involvement in Iraq radicalised, for want of a better word, a whole generation of young people – not a whole generation, a few among a generation – who saw our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as being an attack upon Islam."
She went on to state that our military involvement in both places substantially increased the terror threat to this country.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, if then with our full military might we actually made this country unsafe, then what do we expect to achieve with just our air force?
The phrase "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" comes to mind but we don't just have a hammer, we have a multitude of tools that we could be using to bring about an end to ISIS, so the question has to be asked, why are we not using them?
A military solution with no end game in sight, no way out, no plan for victory is just a repeat of the same mistakes which brought us to this dreadful place in the first place.
We need to be utilizing all the tools available to us to combat ISIS, throwing more bombs into the war will not defeat this enemy, it is an ideology you cannot defeat it with bullets.
The generals in the First World War are discredited in history for their pig headed stubbornness in throwing young lads over the tops to their deaths, even though the tactics were not working they continued onwards.
The same can be said with the war on terror, our military actions have been counter productive, it is time we look at changing our tactics.
We can put pressure on regional countries which are making ISIS possible, go after the source of their income, cut off their weapons and ammo supplies.
Look into diplomacy with Russia and Assad, while at the same time support regional forces which have proven they can be reliable, the Kurds for example.
The choice isn't between bombs or more bombs, there is more than one way to combat and ultimately defeat ISIS.
Funnily enough our allies Turkey have been bombing the hell out of one of the only forces in Syria which have been truly successful against ISIS, the Kurds in Rojava, and their allies.
Our efforts however to pursue non-military measures against ISIS are hampered by the fact some of our "allies" are less than willing to help.
In the end the only people that will profit from dropping bombs are arms companies and terrorist organisations which can use it as a propaganda tool. If anything with each bomb dropped we are further away from our goal, because inevitable each bomb either causes civilian casualties or takes us that much closer to the bomb that will.
For example when the USA bombed a Doctors without Borders hospital, I'm sure that caused a lot of terror to those involved but it is ok, because well they apologised so it makes it all better, right? I'm sure the victim families really understood that by killing their loved ones we were doing it to protect them in the long run of course.
If our recent history is to believed however one thing is for certain this will end in failure. What are your views on Syrian intervention and ISIS? Let me know in the comments below.
Blog by Steve Miller

Read more: http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk...#ixzz3tTeLrMfw
Follow us: @NorthamptonUK on Twitter | NorthantsHeraldPost on Facebook
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Should Jeremy do more to curb the ugly antics of the far left?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a6761801.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 11:01 AM

I am not sure there is much he can do, I am afraid with the internet at the moment people pretty much think they can say what they want and won't have any consequences. I don't understand why FB and Twit can't make an example of some of these people and ban them.

Also at the heart of it all is we have had for many years rich powerful men ruling us, taking from the poor to give to the rich I don't excuse the terrible things people say but there are more have nots out there now than haves and it's a rather worrying phenomena that the have nots are not content to be ruled in this way for much longer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Should Jeremy do more to curb the ugly antics of the far left?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a6761801.html
They don't seem to like Mr Corbyn down at the Independent do they.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Following last Wednesaday's vote - is there about to be a 'night of the long knives'???

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_8730598.html

Page 50 of 50 « First < 40 48 49 50

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top