Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Re: Any wine buffs here ?

Thanks for all your replies

I like a good white wine, it has to be dry, i tend to buy french, and Australian wines are also really good.

if you get a good quality red wine you can't go wrong, i would never buy any of the stuff you see on the shelves at a couple of quid unless i wanted to clean the drains as they say you get what you pay for.

Uncle Joe, my dad used to make his own wine even up to a couple of years ago.

I am not a wine buff myself but over time i have discovered some very nice wines.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 02:57 AM

We used to brew our own, and I still have the demijohns under the stairs. My stars it was good. My brother started us off on it, but for the life of me I can't remember how to make it now.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
We used to brew our own, and I still have the demijohns under the stairs. My stars it was good. My brother started us off on it, but for the life of me I can't remember how to make it now.
Mollie darlin' if you want to take up home-brewing again, I'm happy to help you with some of the things you need to do.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2012, 01:06 AM

making your own wine is worth the effort, i just don't have time, but i may well give it a go in the future when i give up work
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2012, 01:11 AM

A funny little tale about home-brewing.

My sister-in-law's husband was brewing some wine or beer (I forget which) and he put it into the sideboard for it to ferment.

Sadly, it was too warm in there and it exploded, blowing the sideboard up into splinters of wood. Sister-in-law was not best pleased.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
A funny little tale about home-brewing.

My sister-in-law's husband was brewing some wine or beer (I forget which) and he put it into the sideboard for it to ferment.

Sadly, it was too warm in there and it exploded, blowing the sideboard up into splinters of wood. Sister-in-law was not best pleased.
Yes Mollie darlin' - I can relate to that. When I first started home-brewing, stored demijohns in the airing cupboard which was also far to warm and when the wine blew the cork and airlock out of the demijohn there was a fountain of froth and wine which soaked through all the clean towels, tea-towels and clothes Dragon had stored there - she was far from being 'happy' about it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Another "not a wine buff" here, but I like some of the Chilean and Argentinian reds. Carmenere and Malbec are among my favourites, but what I drink rather depends on what's on special offer...
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 04:19 AM

I got a bottle of very expensive Napa Valley wine as a gift some thirty years ago. It was a Mayacamas cabernet sauvignon. I was told I had to put it down for, I really don't remember but it would not come into it's own for at least 5 years. I drink wine when I buy it. I don't put wine down for more than a month or two. I stock up on cheap Trader Joe's wine if I like it. These are $3.99- $4.99/ bottle wines. I can afford to purchase 4 to 10 bottles if I find a good one. I can't afford a case and I don't have enough room.
I splurged on a Riesling from Ojai Vineyards (good winery), I bought two bottles at 21 bucks a pop. That's my limit. And I drink reds mostly so it was special.
My father and (ex)father in law taught me about wines. I don't know nose, I know it smells bad or good. If it tastes good, I buy it. At TJ's I will buy a bottle and if I like it I do like I said above.
I'm on a Spanish~ So. America wine Jag lately. Mostly Teperanillos (soft red), Garnacha (Grenache) (soft red) or Malbecs (meat wine) but I drink any red I like from anywhere. For a white wine, lately, I like Viogniers dry or sweeter.
Napa is way over my means.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 12:59 PM

i like red wine...from chile....don't go out much now...so i like a couple of glasses whenever i feel like it...my dad used to make wine ...and i can remember the corks popping in the cupboards.......saki...dandelion sloe gin....
and it had quite a kick...
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 01:50 PM

We really enjoy Sainsbury’s House Merlot from France. Smooth, quite silky red, only £4.50 a bottle. Serve a little bit cooler than room temp in summer and decant into a jug about an hour before drinking. Not fancy but very drinkable.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top